QDLS with Windows XP SP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QDLS with Windows XP SP2

Bill, I don't know the technical cause of this problem, but I have the same problem with my XP SP2 PC. Every file I try to delete with explorer results in the "Cannot delete (filename). It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." I have only been able to work around the problem by using Ops Nav to delete the file, or the green screen command WRKDOC DOC(*ALL) FLR(FOLDERNAME) and delete them from there. Having a similar problem with EXCEL files stored on a SAMBA (Linux) server where a box comes up each time a user tries to overwrite (save) saying something to the effect that "another user may have changed this file, save it to another name" but it gives you the option to "overwrite" the file. Seems like some kind of FUD campaign on Microsoft's part - but if you look for a solution, you are led to believe the "problem" goes away if you are saving the file on Windows Server 2003. Imagine that.....in either case the file was neither in use by any person or program! What the *$#&?

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

Check out this link at midrange.com - http://archive.midrange.com/java400-.../msg00205.html This should shed some light on the problem. I Found this by doing a Google search using "QDLS Folder" as the search argument.

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

The below info was distributed in a weekly email that I receive. Could the issues you are experience be caused by the default firewall that was enabled with XP SP2? "According to IBM, the default firewall enabled in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) can shut down communication between the iSeries host and Windows client when using iSeries Access for Windows. The problem is that the default firewall blocks the incoming communications that iSeries Access depends upon. That doesn't mean you can't use SP2 with iSeries Access, though. IBM has published a Knowledgebase item that details how to configure the Windows firewall to make an exception for iSeries Access. The Knowledgebase item is at iSeries Access for Windows and PC Firewall Products ."

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

IBM recently posted document 353401389 in the Software Knowledgebase, titled Cannot Delete a File In QDLS through NetServer - File May Be in Use http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase...c?OpenDocument The problem is caused by Windows XP Hotfix Q812937.

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

IBM has issued a PTF for this for V5R2: MF34337. It can be applied Immediately, but you'll need to end Netserver first. I imagine the PTFs for V5R3 and V5R1 will appear shortly, since APAR MA30361 covers all three.

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

That's good news I guess. I don't know how many hours I spent changing systems not to use QDLS.

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

We had this problem too, and PTF MF34337 cured it. Microsoft Word was unable to delete it's own temporary files and left behind large numbers of them (over 5000 at the problem's height). Without the PTF, it didn't matter what interface we used (Windows Netserver, green screen WrkLnk), or how much authority we had (document owner, application owner, security officer). We simply could not remove the unwanted files. IBM also identified that Hotfix KB867778 can cause this same problem in Windows 2000. We don't fully understand this problem, but the origin is apparently due to a functional change in the way that Windows attempts to delete these files. I understand that after these Windows Hotfixes, the OS sets an attribute flag indicating that the file should be deleted. Prior to the Hotfixes, Windows sent a more direct request to delete the file. One more thing, this problem can also affect QSys.Lib and QOpt. The rest of the IFS is supposed to be untouched by this issue.

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

The V5R3 PTF was released today: MF34428. None for V5R1 yet.

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

I think you'll find Microsoft's KB885835 update also causes this problem. This applies to both Windows 2000 & Windows XP.

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

We have ISERIES drives mapped in windows to QDLS for an older application. Since adding SP2 to one WINDOWS XP PC's, the app. no longer works. It can no longer delete a file in a QDLS folder. I can't delete it with WINDOWS EXPLORER either. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance, BILL

Comment

QDLS with Windows XP SP2

Update: The fix for v5r1m0 (MF34450) was released yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                      X