Barcode in DDS Not Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barcode in DDS Not Printing

richard.carpenter wrote: > We have just aquired some software for our subdivision. It includes a > report with a barcode on it. The software works fine on the /400 for > the company we got the software from, but when I compile the DDS > print file, and RPGLE program, I don't get a barcode. When viewing > their print file you see a message at the bottom, "Bar codes not > displayed". I see the data, not the barcode, on mine. Anybody give > some insight as to why it doesn't work? See barcode source below. Richard, This will not likely be a 400 problem, but a printer definition problem. Take a look at the printer definitions between the 2 machines and look for differences. I believe you will need either an IPDS or AFPDS capable printer to utilize the Barcode feature. Bill

The spool file viewer on the iSeries is limited it won't show underline, overprinting or bar code, and I am assuming you are using the viewer. The AFP viewer I believe will show the bar code. The question I have, does the bar code print when you print the spool file that is the real test.

Comment

It may also be that your sub-division was using Inforprint Server, license product 5722IP1 . This allow a regular laser jet printer to print AFP spool files. href="http://www.printers.ibm.com/internet/wwsites.nsf/vwwebpublished/ipserverhome_i_ww">Inforprint Server

Comment

There is no barcode in the spool file. In a spool file with barcode, created witha external print file with device type *SCS, it has a barcode; and it says "Bar codes not displayed." My file dows not print a barcode, just the data for the barcode. So something is wrong.

Comment

I did a check on this, and found out some interesting facts: 1) The external printer file is specified as dedvice type *SCS. 2) The actual spool file device type is *AFPDS. 3) There is a "Form definition" of "F1DLT" on the spool file. 4) The spool file was created on a i5/iSeries, etc.; version V5R3. The one I am working on is V5R2. Does anyone understand what the "Form definition" file is all about?

Comment

I can get the spool file from the other iSeries to print the barcode. What I can't get to happen, is a barcode to be generated, period, in the external spool file I am trying to create.

Comment

There are three parts you can put on a print file that changes it from a regular "green bar" report to a invoice or payroll check, etc. They consist of Overlay, page definition, and a form definition. A form definition is a object that allows you to design you own forms and can have a overlay embedded in it. A page definition defines the page and can print bar code if the proper font is found. The overlay give graphics to the form. Line, boxes, images, etc. Try this command in creating your spool file. CRTPRTF FILE(PRTF2BE) DEVTYPE(*AFPDS) FORMDF(FORM1LIB/FORM1) Redbook V Redbook VI Redbook VII

Comment

We have just aquired some software for our subdivision. It includes a report with a barcode on it. The software works fine on the /400 for the company we got the software from, but when I compile the DDS print file, and RPGLE program, I don't get a barcode. When viewing their print file you see a message at the bottom, "Bar codes not displayed". I see the data, not the barcode, on mine. Anybody give some insight as to why it doesn't work? See barcode source below.
                Code

Comment

I found the problem, the fields were specified with CHRSIZ field control. This caused the fields to be turned into "graphics". *AFPDS does not like it. Remove the CHRSIZ and it works! Thanks everone for all the input! Have a happy Thanksgiving. I am, since this is resolved!

Comment

Working...
                  X