Outsourcing: The Facts of the Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outsourcing: The Facts of the Matter

Where oh Where is the remainder of the article. I stated reading, took "more" but still the article did not seem to be complete. What did I miss.

Outsourcing has landed. Displacing thousands workers, robbing the coffers of needed tax revenue and providing corporate America with a silver bullet quick fix for raising stock value without regard for the long term impact. Just as the uninformed enthusiasm of over investing in questionable startups rendered an landscape of extinct corporate giants, the practice of off shoring American jobs will leave remaining viable American corporations without the resources to survive another generation. What if, in this current climate of reducing technological cost had been adopted by IBM in the earlier 1980’s with out sourcing the development their operating system not to Microsoft, but instead to India? The Information Age ushered in by America would have been lost. The trillion dollar annual industry built over the last twenty years by an innovative America is being ransomed for short sited perception of Corporate Governance. What if, in this climate we reacted to the launch of the Russian Sputnik not by making a huge investment in math and science education, but instead in outsourcing the space program to the communist? Is this really necessary? In theory this practice abides by a free market economy where all participants prosper. In practice the opposite transpires. We are sold a bill of foreign goods, and in return countries like Japan refuse to purchase a single grain of American rice. Has the old adage of working smarter, not harder been replaced with work cheaper and not smarter regardless of the cost? Can the trend be reversed, and is government intervention necessary? The answer to both questions, I believe is yes. First and foremost the country needs to end or severely limit the floodgates of the HB1 Visas. Although it may have been necessary five years ago, during a time of needed resources that time is long gone, and the time has now come to end this program like an out dated blue law. Next, the government needs to view imported cheap professional labor in the same respect as a foreign country dumping goods at or below cost to gain market share. These are predatory actions. Actions that are ultimately a threat to nations financial security and have caused vastly more damage then cumulative affect of terrorism and the war on terrorism. Imposing tariffs on all imported labor would help to curb the flood of American jobs from our own shores. This type of effort needs to be made a priority even more so than any foreign police action. I fear that Corporate America if left unchecked will embrace the same type of social violations that had occurred during the industrial revolution.

Comment

Any error is the premise will almost assuredly sure show up in the conclusion. Using the ITAA as a source of information for anything immediately brands the text of the article as less than objective. Don't forget that it was the ITAA who convinced congress to expand the H1-B program with figures and statistics that have now been proven false. Not that I'm against subjectivity. I'd just like to see it labeled as such. If the writer has a vested interest in keeping or expanding a program, let that be prominent, and not buried. I am reminded of a prominent publisher who ran for President a few years back. He touted a tax scheme which he said would be beneficial for everybody. In point of fact most people (myself included) may have done a few dollars better or worse, but this individual would have gained tens of millions of dollars if the plan were enacted. I'm waiting for the day when a really honest executive (is that an oxymoron?) will pen "How I made money by Outsourcing jobs formerly filled by my own Employees", rather than trying to tell me how I will benefit from the outsourcing process. Dave

Comment

It seems the author's views are still evolving. The article inlcudeded However, in the long run, we are actually seeing that outsourcing has a positive influence on American businesses, the employment rate, and the economy This view seems to have evolved from his earlier statements Keep technology jobs in the US urges industry CEO Outsourcing - irreversible damage to industry

Comment

** This thread discusses the Content article: Outsourcing: The Facts of the Matter **0

Comment

Working...
          X