Object Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Object Changes

There are many Xref, and change management tools on the market which can help you with this task. If it is merely code changes, you could use the CMPPFM command to create an audit trail. Dave

Object Changes

What changes do you want to monitor? If you simply want to know if an object has changed, DSPOBJD will do that. You can dump the output from DSPOBJD to a file and query it by date. How much detail do you want/need?

Comment

Object Changes

George, Your question in my email basket provided additional details about what you are trying to do, so allow me to quote it here.
      John, We are looking to manage the changing of objects on our >system. Without going third party does the OS have a way to do this. We are currently using dspobjd and chkobjitg. thanks for any help on >this matter.
      DSPOBJD and CHKOBJITG will tell you after the fact if something has changed - I suspect that what you really want is to prevent spome of these things from happening in the first place? I'm keying off of the word "manage" in your question. If you want to "manage", then you should use OS/400 object level authority to prevent changes to production objects. If you give users only *USE authority to program type objects and no more than *CHANGE authority (that would be *CHANGE _data_ authority) to Data objects, no one will be able to change the objects themselves unless they have *ALLOBJ authority. DSPOBJD and CHKOBJITG will "monitor" for changes after the fact, but in order to "manage", you have to secure the objects from from the user community. This would require that you remove a users ability to manage (*OBJMGT) and delete (*OBJEXIST) the object. Though I strongly reccommend a third party change management package like SoftLanding's Turnover because ultimately it will be less expensive than building something on your own (what _is_ your time worth anyway?), even a chjange management package won't help if you don't secure the production objects from innappropriate access. jte

Comment

Object Changes

Susan, Thanks for your reply. We are running a batch using dspobjd and dspffd. I am looking into audit journaling but that creates a huge file dependency. It looks as if you have to go with a third party product if you want to automate the process. We would eventually like to dump these reports out to SQL and run queries against that database. any more help you can provide is greatly appreciative. Thanks, George

Comment

Object Changes

George, What is the purpose of the auditing? As John pointed out, proper security will prevent users from changing things they shouldn't. I am guessing that you want a log of activity??? I have worked in several places that wrote their own "audit trail process". Our need was more for research ... wanting to know who entered the record or who cancelled the order, etc. We added processing to our applications to write a record to an "audit file" every time a record was changed along with the userid making the change, and the date & time. But this is only useful if you want to track history of normal activity - it won't help you if someone (in production support, for example) goes around the application and changes data using SQL or DFU. We also have journaling turned on for a few key files. But as you noted, there can be performance issues with journaling so we only use it on a handful of files. I have not looked at products for this because we have always used file journaling or our own audit trail or a combination of the two.

Comment

Object Changes

Iseries gurus can any one help. I have been tasked to use the Iseries auditing to produce reports on what goes on the the system ie changes to RPG/CL programs, data changes in files either by program or SQL etc , are there any simple commands to log and report this. Thanks George

Comment

Object Changes

Changes to programs, can be handled by either a change management package, or by creating your own system, which for crude reporting purposes, can be accomplished quickly enough. Database changes are another matter. Unless you have audit trails in every program that alters data in any way shape or form, you will have to capture a picture of all data at a given point in time, and compare it to another picture captured at another point in time. Years ago, I used to write audit trails for all programs, but over time, I noticed that no one ever looked at them. Now I only put in audit trail reports when requested. Dave

Comment

Object Changes

George, For a 'simple' solution, look at the OS/400 Security Reference manual for the commands and formats. You can display the audit journal into a physical file and then query the data for your info needed. There is a bunch of data you could collect. ~bub~ as Dave points out, make sure someone is actually looking at the reports or it is pretty useless. HTH Scott If you need a CL example, email me. I think there are new parms available with more information for v5rX. I am still on 4.5 so I won't have the lastest and greatest.

Comment

Object Changes

George, I once had a request like this. It has since been cancelled because of the demise (stated 4 years ago, but it is still in use ) of our 400 application. The way I was going to monitor data changes was to turn on journaling and have the system journal the before and after changes. Those changes were going to be placed in a file overnight. The file would be read and the before and after images comparted to see where the difference were. Based on the record position, and a file that contained what was where, I was able to determine the field that changed, and make an appropriate entry in a maintenance log. As I recall, the same journaling was also allowing us to monitor inquiries into records (display only). So that was to be tracked in phase 2 of the project. Hope this helps. Doug Englander englander.da@buckconsultants.com

Comment

Object Changes

David where do you obtain the details about member changes in for example QCLSRC or QRPGLESRC you can get the date but not the user who changed the source code , and this person might not be the one who compiled the program.

Comment

Object Changes

I am trying to monitor changes to source, CL, and files on a daily basis.

Comment

Object Changes

The logic behind source change management is external to the source files. The change management program would audit changes and place the results in a separate area. The source files themselves would not be affected. Gathering details, and history would mean looking at the audit trail, not at the source code. Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X