iSeries Standard Edition and 5250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iSeries Standard Edition and 5250

Robin D. Keller wrote: > Will an iSeries with 0 interactive CPW run 5250? From what I understand, it will support one interactive job at a time. > If not, are there any 3rd party products that can fill the void? There are some packages available that will allow you to convert your interactive programs to run as batch (Joe Pluta has one). If you want to upgrade to a used machine, FAST400 tricks the system to consider all interactive as batch - but it won't work past V5R1. > We are getting ready to upgrade and have no desire to pay a huge > penalty to support 5% of our workload. Unless you only need to run one job at a time, you have little choice. Bill

Robin, Here are two methods you can try... 1. You can use iSeries Access for the Web. This is IBM's version of a green screen in a web page. This has 3 requirements: 1) You own iSeries Access (if you have Client Access then you own it) 2) You use the Apache HTTP server and 3) you use either the Tomcat or Websphere application server. I've found this product to be slooooooow. 2. You can get Mochasoft's (www.mochasoft.dk) which has a nice green screen Telnet 5250 ASP that works in a browser. Site license is $250. This is the method I'd use as it is killer fast and doesn't take up any CPU cycles on the iSeries. It requires the Apache or original HTTP server to be running. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Robin D. Keller"[list=1] wrote in message news:6aea4362.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Will an iSeries with 0 interactive CPW run 5250? If not, are there any 3rd party products that can fill the void? > > We are getting ready to upgrade and have no desire to pay a huge penalty to support 5% of our workload. > > rdkeller@boddienoell.com

Comment

Will an iSeries with 0 interactive CPW run 5250? If not, are there any 3rd party products that can fill the void? We are getting ready to upgrade and have no desire to pay a huge penalty to support 5% of our workload. rdkeller@boddienoell.com

Comment

I'm going to look at Mocha W32 TN5250. Maybe I'll get it to work.

Comment

Chuck Ackerman wrote: > 2. You can get Mochasoft's (www.mochasoft.dk) which has a nice green > screen Telnet 5250 ASP that works in a browser. Site license is > $250. This is the method I'd use as it is killer fast and doesn't > take up any CPU cycles on the iSeries. Chuck, Does "doesn't take up any CPU cycles" really mean it doesn't use Interactive CPW? I would think that would be a gigantic feature to have and yet nowhere on their website that I saw does it mention this as a benefit of the software. Bill

Comment

Bill, Sorry for the confusion. It is just a telnet program and, as such, the job is considered interactive. What I meant to say is this: "Mochasoft's telnet program takes the same amount of CPU as a 5250 display." I was comparing "cpu cycle usage" to iSeries Access for the Web which HOGS the cpu. Each IAW user is probably equivalent to about 15 telnet users in the amount of iSeries work that is done. However IAW is not considered an interactive CPW. I would NOT use IAW as a replacement for an interactive CPW user since you'll need a considerably larger CPU if you have a lot of IAW users. Pay the interactive CPW tax and you'll be better off. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Bill" wrote in message news:75D20F5169649F619B77AD8006CA03D9@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... > Chuck Ackerman wrote: > > 2. You can get Mochasoft's (www.mochasoft.dk) which has a nice green > > screen Telnet 5250 ASP that works in a browser. Site license is > > $250. This is the method I'd use as it is killer fast and doesn't > > take up any CPU cycles on the iSeries. > > Chuck, > > Does "doesn't take up any CPU cycles" really mean it doesn't use > Interactive CPW? I would think that would be a gigantic feature to have > and yet nowhere on their website that I saw does it mention this as a > benefit of the software. > > Bill > >

Comment

Working...
            X