Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I back up an integrated server configured for Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I back up an integrated server configured for Windows?

What errors are you receiving? Dave

By specifying OBJ(('QNTC/*')) you are in effect backing up all of the servers on your network. The QNTC link is used to access other servers on your network from the iSeries. You are probably receiving permission errors from the outside servers. Sean

Comment

David, We have had a number of errors and keep trying to eliminate them to get a step further in the process but this is very time consuming and tedious. Here is the current message. Message . . . . : Session initialization error with Network Server FIVEBUCK Cause . . . . . : The Network Server file system (QNTC) detected an error attempting to initialize a session with Network Server FIVEBUCK. Recovery . . . : Ensure the QSERVER subsystem is started and operational. If the Server is loaded on an Integrated xSeries Server for iSeries, ensure that the NWSD is varied on and the server is active. If the Server is a remote system, ensure that the system is active and the Server program has been started. If the Server is an OS/400 NetServer, ensure that the server has been started. Technical description . . . . . . . . : An error code 109 was received while trying to initialize a session to the Network Server FIVEBUCK. 109 -- Session open rejected.

Comment

You probably want something like this instead: SAV DEV('/QSYS.LIB/T1.DEVD') OBJ(('/QNTC/ServerName/*')) You would need to specify the name of the server as it appears to the network. There are additional considerations for backing it up when it's varied off vs. varied on. See the Backup manual. Note that I included initial slashes before QSYS and QNTC. They aren't absolutely necessary; if you can guarantee that the job's home directory is the root '/', they won't be needed. Without the slash, it's a relative path from the home directory; with the slash, it's an absolute path from the root.

Comment

Ken, Thanks for the response, "You would need to specify the name of the server as it appears to the network. There are additional considerations for backing it up when it's varied off vs. varied on. See the Backup manual." I keep trying to find information about the SAV command but I'm either looking in the wrong place or there is no backup manual that talks about the SAV command. I don't really know much about how the pieces of the Windows Server fit together but here's what I do have. I am working with the *NWS configuration below The latest command that I have entered is - SAV DEV('/QSYS.LIB/RNOCK.LIB/FIVEBUCK.FILE') OBJ(('/QNTC/FIVEBUCKV1/*')) OUTPUT(*PRINT) CLEAR(*ALL) The errors that I get now are - Object not found. Object is /QNTC/FIVEBUCKV1. No objects saved or restored.

Comment

Can you see /QNTC/FIVEBUCKV1 when you use the WRKLNK command? Dave

Comment

Dave, We managed to get one back up to execute by varying off FIVEBUCK and changing "QNTC" to "QFPNWSSTG" but that appears to be designed to work only when the Windows server system is shutdown. To clarify, we tried changing the name from FIVEBUCK to FIVEBUCKV1 because we were trying to see if the problem was a share name issue but we still can't see anything except $REGISTRY below FIVEBUCK which is the actual DDIR name. If we do WRKLNK QFPNWSSTG there are three DIR entries FIVEBUCK1 DIR FIVEBUCK2 DIR FIVEBUCK3 DIR The error messages keep taking us back to an error code of 109. That code seems to be an authority issue but we can't figure out what the problem is with the permissions.

Comment

If this server is an integrated x-series adapter card type, I would highly recommend the IBM Redbook entitled "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Integration with iSeries." It will detail the backup and recovery options available. Heck, you can use Windows Backup to do a file level backup of the entire system on an attached iSeries tape drive! Or you could backup the entire server storage space using the SAV command. Go to ibm.com/redbooks to find it for an excellent overview/implementation guide to backing up your disk data. Chapter 7 "Backup and Recovery" is where you will want to focus your effort.

Comment

Sonny, This loks like it is what I've been looking for! Step by step instructions with clear explanations of what the different options are. Thanks!

Comment

We recently installed a PCI integrated server configured to run Windows. We have been trying to figure out how to back up the "disk drives" configured for this server using the SAV command. We would first like to verify the save function by doing a save to the tape device and then changing to an automated procedure for overnight save to a save file. When we enter the command - SAV DEV('QSYS.LIB/T1.DEVD') OBJ(('QNTC/*')) it always ends in error. Does anyone have or know where to find a detailed set of step by step instructions for doing this? Thanks for any help you can give us.

Comment

RNock, glad to be of service. The documentation I referenced is the same stuff I looked at when I needed to back up the Windows integrated server. I found it to be very informative and useful, and I think you will too!

Comment

Working...
                      X