New 595 with an HMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 595 with an HMC

Imagine, if you will, the chain that holds the anchor to a battleship. The links in that chain are massive and very strong and reliable. Now, imagine they replace one of those links with a link from a woman's necklace. Suddenly the chain is weak and fragile and any stress on the small link will cause the entire anchor system to fail. That's what the HMC is: the link from a necklace. IBM has taken what used to be a reliable system and turned it into a system that is no longer any more reliable than a PC. We had a programmer physically turn off the HMC while still signed on the other day. Fortunately, no real damage occurred but you should have heard the AS/400 complain. It told us we had a critical error and had to call IBM immediately. It took IBM a day to resolve. What a joke the entire HMC system has become! And now, the one thing we could always sell management on -- the fact that the iSeries is more reliable than any other server -- has just been pulled out from under us. We no longer have that anchor to hang our hat upon. What a shame. This is certainly one area where IBM didn't think things through before they jumped into the pond! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Scott Walker" wrote in message news:6b25ec88.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > We bought a new 595 system with the new HMC console for iSeries. It has > been rather easy to work with until yesterday. The HMC locked up while > moving a hardware resource from one partition to another. After rebooting > the HMC it lost communication with the FSP. This is very very very bad. We > called IBM. IBM had us look up a few error codes and then determined we > needed to power down/up the entire system. This is 10 partitions for us > and hundreds of thousands of users. I am shocked to say the least that > this little HMC can cause us to power off the entire system. Has anyone > else seen problems with the new HMC?

New 595 with an HMC

We bought a new 595 system with the new HMC console for iSeries. It has been rather easy to work with until yesterday. The HMC locked up while moving a hardware resource from one partition to another. After rebooting the HMC it lost communication with the FSP. This is very very very bad. We called IBM. IBM had us look up a few error codes and then determined we needed to power down/up the entire system. This is 10 partitions for us and hundreds of thousands of users. I am shocked to say the least that this little HMC can cause us to power off the entire system. Has anyone else seen problems with the new HMC?

Comment

New 595 with an HMC

I think you hit it on the nose Chuck!

Comment

Working...
      X