Performance V5R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance V5R2

Are the disks the same ones you had in the 820? If so, the batch job may be I/O bound, and you'd need to get faster disks/controllers. It may also be memory-bound. How much of the CPW is assigned to Interactive, and how heavy is your interactive load? If the batch job has the same CPW available to it, it may not run faster.

Performance V5R2

hi Ken, thanks for your response. Same disks and controllers were used. At night no other jobs are running except for this job (end of day). We have acquire a model 825 with the Enterprise edition. I assume all CPW will be thrown to the batch job.

Comment

Performance V5R2

There can still be a lot of constraints on it that would make it run about the same amount of time. It could be I/O bound. If it's not a query (like an RPG or COBOL program), it will only be able to use 1 CPU, no matter how much CPW you have. Even if it is a query, it will still run on 1 CPU if you do not have SMP. Also, if it's a query, let's say the subsystem it's running in has a fixed memory pool of 100MB. If the query builds a 1GB access path, you're going to get a lot of swapping to disk, and again it becomes I/O bound. There are probably other things that could happen to make it run the same time, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Comment

Performance V5R2

Hi there, i had some query regarding the new server 825 and V5R2. we have upgraded our server from 820 (2000+ CPW) to 825 (3300 CPW) and upgraded the OS version from V5R1 to V5R2. The memory capacity is still the same and the disk. We are expecting that there should be an increase in performance. The batch run which last for 6hours before is still running on 6hours. Dis not have any difference despite of upgrading the processor. Any recommendation i need to undertake.. thanks.

Comment

Performance V5R2

It won't get better. If you had an 820 fc 2437, you had a CPW of 2,350 on two processors (or about 1,175 CPW per processor). It sounds like you now have an 825 fc 0873 that has a CPW of 3,600 on three processors (or about 1,200 per processor). Since batch jobs start and end on the same processor (and do not use the other processors), more processors will not help batch jobs. More processors should improve your interactive jobs/sessions. You could activate the total of 6 processors in your 825 and you will see almost no difference in your 6 hour batch job. To see an improvement in your 6-hour batch job, you need a faster processor. The 570 has about 3,000 CPW per processor so it would at least halve the time it takes now. Also look at getting the newer RAID adapters with the extra cache on the adapter.

Comment

Working...
          X