Side-by-side hardware upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side-by-side hardware upgrade

If you set up your new systems on a separate/isolated VLAN. You will be able to use the same system name and same IP addresses as your current production system. You would also have to set up a number of workstations to access these systems during your test period.

BMolintas: So you are saying that you would plug the new iSeries into its "own" switch, configured with a unique subnet ip address, and you would plug some other devices into the same switch during testing OR (if the switch is smart enough), could you REDIRECT the traffic to another vlan device? tia.

Comment

Actually, I'd like to take my statement back about being able to use the same IP address. However, our setup did enable us to use the same system name and we used our existing iSeries IP addresses when cutting over to the new systems. I wasn't involved with the VLAN setup so I can't really give you any specifics. My understanding was a new VLAN was configured on our existing network and was secured by an access list.

Comment

We're replacing our 820 (with attached 720/620/??? hardware and towers) with an all-new 570, same serial number. We'll be saving the old system and restoring it to the new one, both at V5R3. We're scratching our heads as to how to test the new system while the old system is still running. They can't have the same IP addresses, and I'm not sure if they can have the same system names. Anyone here dealt with this kind of thing? Tips or pointers? The system is connected to users, external servers, and the internet. Our Director of Operations is thinking we should maybe just switch over without testing applications, and work on any bugs/problems from there (assuming the restore works).

Comment

We changed the IP address of the new machine before starting up TCP and changed the Netserver name (OpsNav). We took the oportunity to test new security settings and software upgrades. Then we reloaded the whole lot again, leaving the IP address and Netserver name. We left the system name the same. The biggest issue was on the second reload we added 'Changed Objects' the next day. What we didn't realise was the OBJJRN parameter defaults to *NO, so were were missing a days worth of updates on those files. Luckily we wrote a record count cl to compare files and found the error early.

Comment

Working...
          X