Access pc CD-Drive from iSeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access pc CD-Drive from iSeries

If QSYSOPR is getting hardware errors, it is time to call IBM support. There are PTFs available for invalid hardware errors under V5R2, but from your description, I would think that you may have a real hardware problem. Dave

Look for IBM documentation on "Image Catalogs." I use Image Catalogs to do virtual CD installs. When I have an optical drive fail, I will use another AS/400 optical drive to Load the Image Catalog. Then I will save the IFS link where the image catalog resides and restore it to the system with a failing optical drive. Then you can use the Image Catalog as a virtual optical drive. Link to IBM support Image Catalog document.

Comment

Is it possible to copy or ftp the files from the pc cd drive to the IFS and build an image catalog over them? I can see the file names on the cd but they contain no extensions.

Comment

Maybe you could copy from the PC cd drive using a cd burner software that creates an ISO file. I have not tried it but I know that if I pull a ptf from IBM's ftp server and then burn it to cd I use ISO and the cd is usable on the iSeries. I would look into doing this. You might have to get rid of the .iso extension after the file is created. Then do an FTP binary down to the IFS. Finally, use the image catalog commands to add and load the image to the OPTVRT01 virtual drive. Or just replace your optical drive and be done with all this. Maybe you can find one on ebay if you don't have hardware support.

Comment

It appears I have a hardware problem with my cd drive on our 170. After inserting a cd (any cd), the system will eject the disk and start throwing h/w errors to qsysopr. I'm thinking it may be a ptf problem but I can't load them from cd & I don't want to download them. So, my question is; Can a virtual optical drive be assigned to a lan attached pc cd drive? I've got the drive (d:/) shared on the pc and I can see it from QNTC (wrklnk). How can I map OS400 to it? Thanks, Benjie McCall

Comment

Creating an image file (.ISO) works just great. in fact, at our shop, we have the entire set of IBM install CD's in one directory. The virtual optical drive will treat this like a CD jukebox. We use the virtual optical drive and image catalog regularly, as our AS400 is not at our site. I'm attaching a (wordperfect) document that I created for the other programmers here.

AS400 Virtual CD Instructions.wpd

Comment

Working...
            X