System backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System backup

Seems like I have read where someone came up with an "almost" automated unattended system backup. In all my years of working with this box, the only way short of a tool like Help/Systems Robot/Save Restricted State Save (I do not remember the correct name). Even with a tool, you STILL are required to "lock up" the system console. So, short answer, NO. Call IBM, they may give you a different answer.

System backup

carllongley wrote: > I want to perform a full system backup but from a PGM - not go save > (21) Is this possible? Definitely, with one caveat: it can't be a program run in batch mode - it will have to be run interactively. There are at least 2 ways of doing it: If you hit help on the menu, the text for each of the options shows that option 21 runs a CL program with the name of QMNSAVE. You can RtvCLSrc on this program and work with it if you'd like. A "cleaner" way is to enter a 21 on the menu and then hit help. The text for it shows the commands that are effectively run by that menu option, and they are: ENDSBS SBS(*ALL) OPTION(*IMMED) SAVSYS SAVLIB LIB(*NONSYS) ACCPTH(*YES) SAVDLO DLO(*ALL) FLR(*ANY) SAV OBJ(('/*') ('/QSYS.LIB' *OMIT) ('/QDLS' *OMIT) UPDHST(*YES) STRSBS SBSD(controlling-subsystem) You can modify these commands as necessary as well. We would add an ('/QNTC' *Omit) on the SAV command. Bill

Comment

System backup

We wrote 3 CL Programs. 1) Save the changed stuff 2) Save *NONSYS 3) Save Everything, including the OS etc. 2 & 3 must run interactively from the system console. We put in DLYJOB so that it starts at a particular time in the evening, takes the system to a restricted state, then does the backup...and some other stuff we want done while the system is in restriced state (mostly having to do with application stuff) then we either IPL the partition or restart the subsystems...your choice.

Comment

System backup

If you are on v5r3 and understand how BRMS works, I am pretty sure you can run the full save in a batch type mode. If you do not know anything about BRMS, then this is not the best route for you to take because just learning how to use BRMS will be a large headache for you.

Comment

System backup

I get around this by a file that I keep manually and a cl program that does a SAVLIB. This way I can run the save in batch and the system does not have to be in a restricted state. You may also save configuration and security in this same cl. Every month or so we do a full system backup.

Comment

System backup

Hi, I want to perform a full system backup but from a PGM - not go save (21) Is this possible?

Comment

System backup

We use the TAATOOL DLYCMD. We run it from the console and it works well for us. We have been using it for years.

Comment

Working...
              X