X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an error message on QCTL when it is already running

Shannon - What is your system value for controlling subsystem? Dave

Getting an error message on QCTL when it is already running

sodonnell wrote: > Around 6 the next morning, another job scheduler job runs that starts > subsystem QINTER. > > As soon as the STRSBS QINTER command is issued, we immediately get a > CPI0906 - *ATTENTION* Controlling subsystem QCTL should be started. You've probably already thought of this, but I'd just put in a workaround that does a Start to QCtl before the start to QInter. It'd be interesting to see if it says QCtl is already started. Bill

Comment

I used the WRKSBS command (from a tip by someone on Midrange-L) and used F14 to view the status of QCTL and sure enough, it's in a RSTD state! Which baffles me as all the other subsystems are active and obviously running. I wasn't aware that you could put the controlling subsystem in a restricted state without restricting the entire system. That's a new one for me. I think we'll IPL and see if that brings QCTL back to an ACTIVE status. Weird.

Comment

Shannon ... Here, I don't use QINTER. I have specific subsystems for specific applications groups. If you would configure around it, then you wouldn't have the problem. Well, I rarely use QINTER. Only when an IBM needs to log on for a technical support issue.

Comment

As David said, check your system value for the controlling subsystem. But, you don't have to IPL - simply start QCTL - STRSBS QCTL. That will make it active.

Comment

Just starting QCTL won't cause any other problems? I'm loathe to do anything that will cause the system to crash as there are hundreds of users on it at any given time during the day.

Comment

Shannon, I think when you start QCTL (if that is your controlling subsystem in the system value) it will also call the startup program in system value QSTRUPPGM. It sounds to me as if the system was started from a restricted state without starting the QCTL subsystem which in turn means the startup program has not run. So I would double check what your startup program is and make sure it can run now that the system has already been brought up. You could also temporarily change QSTRUPPGM to *NONE so that no startup program is called during the start of QCTL. Then you could change it back to whatever it was prior. Scott

Comment

Hi, On our i5 530, we have a job that runs from the jobs scheduler every evening about 6 that ends QINTER subsystem. This is done to ensure that there are no record locks left hanging, users left signed on, etc., at the end of the day and before the back starts. Around 6 the next morning, another job scheduler job runs that starts subsystem QINTER. As soon as the STRSBS QINTER command is issued, we immediately get a CPI0906 - *ATTENTION* Controlling subsystem QCTL should be started. The strange thing is, QCTL is already running. It was never taken down. Even stranger on the old iSeries 270, this same command worked without kicking out this error message. We are current on all Cumulative, Hiper and Group PTFs and I could find nothing in the PSP letters or the PTF cover letters or Knowledge Base about this. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have a suggestion on what I could look at/for to either find out why I'm getting it and/or how to prevent it? Thanks! Shannon O'Donnell

Comment

I need to apply some PTFs anyway. I think I'll just be safe and wait until the weekend and do an IPL anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                  X