MSIL, & VB.Net sounds like Bytecode and Java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSIL, & VB.Net sounds like Bytecode and Java

My perception of some historical events: 1) MS and Sun don't get along well. 2) MS recently lost a long drawn-out lawsuit against Sun regarding Java incompatabilities in the Windoze (Win98?) environmnent. 3) MS announced the .NET initiative around the time of the original Java legal problems, along with their new C# language (a perceived Java knock-off). 4) C# isn't quite "taking off" like MS thought it would. Looks like they're looking for ways to get a "universal" interpreter (like Java) that will be intrinsically tied to their .NET initiative and incorporating into their current language base. They have a massive marketing machine to do this with. Although MS will probably make some inroads in this area especially with their own languages, I think they are, as the old saying goes: "A day late and a dollar short". My 2 cents.

Hi Cliff, Some background: All OO in VB is from M$ stealing away Borland's Delphi team with an offer they couldn't refuse. The Delphi architects also created C#. Delphi is far superior to Java except for the alleged cross platform capability, which apparently nobody is using as a universal visual interface. Reference the industry geniuses conclusion that Java was all about backend, middleware, and anything else but visual anyway, although this is a pathetic excuse for their failure. In addition, Borland is now releasing Kylix, which is Delphi for Linux, which now takes care of the only two desktops that count, Windows and Linux. You should place the .net language iniiatives that you describe re: VB in perspective by comparing to ILE. Same concept. Read further and you'll see that even COBOL participares in .net. Yes, it is a shameless attempt to steal all that is good about Java but make it cross language. Forget the hokey about cross platform. M$ is announcing that a reference will be available to port to other OS, but they won't do it. This is pap for the masses from the ultimate Big Brother. In addition, there is as much effort behind this to make M$ software fail to work unless it can retrieve key services across the Internet as anything else. They sense they have milked the cow dry and are trying to charge tolls to run all future software. Hopefully Linux and Kylix will wipe them from the face of the earth. Ralph

Comment

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! Actually I like your posts they're usually right on & you say it so succinctly.

Comment

"Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!" Thanks Tom, and I'm in a good mmod this morning. Imagine if I was grouchy.... Ralph

Comment

HOLY COW. And to think that the PC guys I work with think that I'm a ruthless MS basher/cynic ;-) I bow to the *master*. Thanks Ralph, you made my day Terry (who will be running FreeBSD at home soon)

Comment

You're welcome, Terry... I spent the 80's on PC in assembler and had an opportunity to observe M$ at its best. When I worked for Z-Soft we sold them a baby version of PC Paintbrush to give them something to run in Windows 1.0. They had nothing but a vision, and that was obtained by looking at a Mac... Ralph

Comment

Hey, I remember Z-Soft and PaintBrush! Wow, does that bring back memories. Somewhere I've got a copy laying around. Those were the days. Thanks for the nostalgia....

Comment

I recently read an article in the February 2001 issue of MSDN explaining VB.Net. Has anyone else been up to speed on this? I admit I have not been following the works of M$ lately and I don't have a deep understanding of this stuff. (I didn't even read the article in depth.) However, as I read it sounds like M$ is building Java like functionality into VB. VB.Net now has inheritance and all .NET programs are compiled into DLLs composed of MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) which is a low level form of instructions that is interpreted by the new CLR (Common Language Runtime) environment and translated into machine instruction. This MSIL is said to be OS independant. According to the article CLR appears to be M$'s new strategic direction. The article states that there is vision that other vendors will implement CLR for other platforms which is to say that you may eventually be able to run your VB code on platforms other than Windows. Now I ask doesn't this sound just like Java bytecode? Also, what is this all-of-the-sudden desire to switch gears and join the platform independance band-wagon? I don't know much about the market and initiatives and such, but I thought Microsoft developed only proprietary software and that their goal was to confine you to Windows O/Ses. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Comment

Working...
                X