Question from a prodigal son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from a prodigal son

Scott, There is a substantial thread on this. If you go to the search facility from the forum page you can find it. You may have to change your search criteria a bit to get the desired thread, but it is there. -bret

That's been a matter of debate for a couple of years. Frank Soltis gave a speech last year saying that Microsoft had converted it's AS/400 apps to NT for Y2K and the conversion had been a failure. Microsoft had to eventually go back to an AS/400 solution. Microsoft fired back, saying it didn't have any AS/400's, and that it's business ran on NT. Claiming IBM was just full of itself and how typical the story or speech was of IBM's ego. IBM comes back, and claims the reason Microsoft can say that is because they outsourced the part of their distribution business that was running on AS/400's to another shop running, AS/400's. That way Microsoft could actually claim "THEY" didn't have an AS/400. But yet continuing to provide the European distribution system on AS/400's. Your guess is as good as mine which is true.

Comment

Hi I have worked on the AS/400 platform since 89, and microsoft NT versons 3x and 4.0, If ole bill didnt have an AS/400 he sure did a great job of creating a mirror image of the AS/400s' security, structures, and functions!!!! I did hear somewhere that Microsoft was replacing their AS/400's in a 5 Server per AS/400 upgrade. Sounds like sound business for Microsoft, I would have stayed with AS/400's instead of buying 5 servers to replace each AS400.. Robert PS. The prodigal son is always welcomed home with open arms!!! In all the versions I have ever heard..

Comment

This is sort of a lying contest between Gates and BIM. I do know that some video clips taken inside M$ most definitely showed some 400s sitting around; what they were being used for is anyone's guess. bobh

Comment

Hi - up until about 3 years ago, I worked on the AS/400 platform. At the time, one of the big "secrets" about the platform was that even mighty Microsoft ran their business on an AS/400. Having lost touch with the most current news about the platform, I'm curious to know if this is still the case (for purposes of settling a bet w/someone I know, so not a time critical question ).

Comment

Working...
          X