Reason's for Upgrade - Request Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason's for Upgrade - Request Comments

David, In my other shop, we pushed our data center to upgrade to v4r4 (the latest & greatest release around this time last year) because we HAD to have new features such as LPAR, Java improvements, and especially Domino 5 improvements. Where I work now, they upgraded from v4r2 straight to v4r5 to minimize disruption, but at least we are current now. I would not be happy working in a place that only upgrades when they have to (i.e. the OS/400 release is so old that IBM announces it won't be supported any longer). How much new & exciting work can be going on in a place like that? If nothing else, upgrade to apply the latest PTF's and performance improvements! But to address your original question, I have never worked in a place that waits for IBM to withdraw support. I have (fortunately) worked in places that upgrade to take advantage of new features and/or PTF packages. And that same philosophy applies to the purchased vendor packages as well - Robot, Easy View, Implementer, Mimix, etc.

On May 5th I upgraded from V4R4 to V4R5. That was mainly because the support is being withdrawn for V4R4 May 31st. On the other hand, when I upgrade to V5R1 it will certainly be to take advantage of new features after resolving the OfficeVision deletion issue.

Comment

Sue Behrens wrote: . I would not be happy working in a place that only upgrades when they have to (i.e. the OS/400 release is so old that IBM announces it won't be supported any longer). Please keep in mind, that the current cycle of release (Time of announcement to announcement of support withdrawal) is only 19 months! Dave

Comment

Argument: That the principle purpose of upgrading is not so much the need to take advantage of new features, but rather to avoid being cut off from support, as support terminates. I am looking for actual occurances rather than personal expression. I have a thought for a new article, and want to know what happened in your shop. Dave

Comment

I believe that support for V4R5 drops within 12 months. Have you already planned a date for the V5R1 install? Dave

Comment

Working...
          X