Tools for free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for free?

Well then, , , , , The view of what constitutes Unfair Business Practices must be left in the eye of the litigant. If ASNA feels that giving away VARPG is an unfair business practice, then they will take some sort of action. Similarly with Seagull Systems, LANSA, etc. If none of these companies have a problem, then I certainly don't have a problem. OTOH If any company feels besmirched due to another companies actions, then it's worth taking a look at, and forming an opinion. The bottom line is that IBM can give away the store if no other company takes the viewpoint that Netscape did against Microsoft. As of this point in time, there are no complaints of which I am aware. The passage of time may change that........................or not. Dave

Tools for free?

David, The fact that Webfacing isn't, currently, as sophisticated as JWalk or LANSA shouldn't be part of the equation. Most of Microsoft's version 1.0 products were seldom as powerful or bug free as the programs they replaced. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "David Abramowitz" wrote in message news:1e53b24e.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... The one big tool that comes for free with V5R1 is Visual Age for RPG. This will certainly put a crimp in ASNA's Visual RPG product, and is slightly reminiscent of MS offering IE for free which started the Netscape lawsuit. Webfacing is free, but I don't believe that this is as sophisticated as the JWalk or LANSA products, and thus should not be compared in this fashion. Dave

Comment

Tools for free?

IBM is nowhere near the ruthless compitor Microsoft is. IE was given away with the OS and embedded as much as MS could do. IBM with WDS isn't even close to the same scenario. You still have to buy the suite if you don't currently hold a V4R5 license.

Comment

Tools for free?

So, "nowhere near" is kind like "a little bit pregnant?" ;-)
        chuck
        Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
        IBM is nowhere near the ruthless compitor Microsoft is. IE was given away with the OS and embedded as much as MS could do. IBM with WDS isn't even close to the same scenario. You still have to buy the suite if you don't currently hold a V4R5 license.

Comment

Working...
        X