first race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first race

Gene, I'll let you know when I have my next mandatory physical fitness test with the Army. If you can do 10K miles that quickly, I'm sure you could make me look real good by standing in for me (quietly) on the two-mile run that takes me 16 minutes. -Bret

first race

Last weekend, June 2nd, I just ran in the 23rd annual Kirkland Art Center 5K run. I believe that I've run all 23 years of the race! I am currently in the 60 - 69 age bracket. Yes, if you have a desk job, you need to find some way to get regular exercise. Helps to reduce stress, just in case you have any on the job. Never was a very fast runner, but over the long haul its durability that counts. Just keep going and going! By the way, 3 generational teams including grandchildren can be lots of fun. The generational counts were 1 grandfather, 2 children and 4 grandchildren.

Comment

first race

Congrats! I adminre anyone who likes to run. Makes me feel guilty, though. ;-)
      chuck
      Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
      Last weekend, 5/26/2001, I ran my first race, the Dexter-Ann Arbor 10K Run. You can see my finish mug shots here and my time of 46:35 here. In the male age group 40-44, I placed 21 out of 92. Whew!

Comment

first race

If you can do 10K miles that quickly,
        10 kilometres I think, not 10,000 miles. :-) Dave...

Comment

first race

Yes, if you have a desk job, you need to find some way to get regular exercise.
          I get mine cycling to and from work; that's between Twickenham in Southwest London and, currently, Slough in Buckinghamshire - about 14 miles each way. Believe it or not it's usually quicker than driving. I've racked up over 3,600 miles since last October and lost over 2 stone (28 pounds). I'm older than Gene but younger than Frank. :-) Dave...

Comment

first race

Okay, okay. I still get these darned metric things confused. BTW: Doom is great for getting rid of frustrations. Used to have a controller that I swear acted like the horrible creatures on my PC. Question: Before the metric system, did we put pennies in parking yards? Did it used to be called Iso-SAE? -bret

Comment

first race

Are they still using "stone" as a weight measurement in the U.K.? I spent part of my youth in Southend-On-Sea, Essex, and I can remember getting on a scale that had a lot of distance between the numbers. I was very young and could not figure it out. Dave

Comment

first race

I can't speak with authority, but I doubt they still measure weight in stone. Only a few months ago, the government crawled all over a butcher for selling meat in pounds & ounces.

Comment

first race

Congratulations on finishing your race so quickly, Gene. How you made such good time while pulling that piano along is amazing!

Comment

first race

That was a public market. I know of the incident. Most people on the island (at least the one's I know) are fiercely independent, and do not consider themselves "European" ("Europe begins at the other end of the Chunnel" was a remark frequently heard). In the incident you mentioned, the butcher weighted his products according to the wishes of his customers. In fact most shops display both measurements. Metric to comply with ECM, and the Queen's measurements to ensure domestic tranquility. The butcher was cited, not for using pounds and ounces, but for failing to post metric as well. Dave

Comment

first race

Official weights and measures are now generally metric but most people still think in stones, pounds and ounces. You can still buy bathroom scales calibrated in stones and pounds, for example. Dave...

Comment

first race

Last weekend, 5/26/2001, I ran my first race, the Dexter-Ann Arbor 10K Run. You can see my finish mug shots here and my time of 46:35 here. In the male age group 40-44, I placed 21 out of 92. Whew!

Comment

first race

The butcher was cited, not for using pounds and ounces, but for failing to post metric as well.
                          And also for using scales that had not been officially tested and approved: a detail conveniently overlooked by journalists in search of a good story.
                          Most people on the island (at least the one's I know) are fiercely independent, and do not consider themselves "European" ("Europe begins at the other end of the Chunnel" was a remark frequently heard).
                          Most people here now accept that we are irrevocably part of Europe although there is considerable uneasiness over loss of sovereignty and resentment over "interference" from Brussels and selective application of the rules. It now looks more or less certain that we will eventually give up the pound and join the Euro, especially if Tony gets back in after today's election, as seems highly likely. However, my favourite newspaper headline is still "Fog in Channel, continent isolated". :-) Dave...

Comment

Working...
                          X