Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M$ stuff

Bob,
    Don't believe surveys, they're all flawed.I believe those numbers don't really mean anything, for two reasons.
    At my last company we had a number of Red Hat purchased boxes that were never opened. I'm assuming that those were included in the survey as an install. I suspect, that in this early stage of Linux, many companies are experimenting but not necessarily using.
    Also, at my last company, we found that often we used many Linux boxes where, traditionally, one NT server would suffice. For example, we used two Linux boxes strictly for load balancing.(I.E. directing incoming traffic to a web server.) We also used multiple Linux boxes for firewalls. We also had many Linux boxes handing out the web pages. In NT shops, all of those functions might be done by a single box.
    Look at it this way. When a shop replaces an AS/400 with NT, it often mushrooms into many NT machines. When a shop replaces an NT box it mushrooms into many Linux boxes.
    Why? Because it appears to be cheap to doit that way. But cost conscience I.T. managers all know that the more boxes you have, the more people you need to maintain them. Those I.T. managers that are very political and fiefdom oriented like this scenario because they believe that the more people they manage, the more important they are.
    Foolish.
    chuck
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
    I recently saw a pie chart showing that Linux had about 30% of servers and of course this is coming out of M$ and not Sun. Another thing is the number of Novell things still around. The 400 wasn't mentioned of course. It will be interesting to see how the DUBYA AG deals with the latest gambit from 'Slick Willie" Gates and his XP/whatever's next. bobh

M$ stuff

Good points; had you heard that some US Military department had gone to Star Office on 20K seats? What's your take on the latest upgrade deal w/ XP. I've heard all sorts of rumors around UT. bobh

Comment

Working...
    X