Product reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product reviews

There are many posts in these fora requesting solutions; answers; advice; etc. In that regard I have two concerns when vendors respond with marketing myopia. 1.) The response is highly subjective, and may not be appropropriate for the individual shop. Objectivity may be lost when responses are commercial in nature. 2.) These sites only exist at all, because costs are defrayed by advertising. That being considered, there may be an ethical problem sneaking in a freebie. I don't mind seeing products mentioned as solutions, but a variety of similar products (if known) should also be mentioned. In this manner the user is assisted to the point of starting their own research. OTOH, I wouldn't think a lot of sales have been made from posts. Dave

Product reviews

Hello David,
    I agree with your viewpoint as I am probably one of the most targeted recipients ofcriticism when I post product related responses. I always attempt to mention at least oneFREEoption as well as our commercial alternatives.
    When Irecommend our products, I don't hypethemandelaborate onall the available features. I simply suggest to the poster that they may want to look at our product if they want a commercial alternative. Most people don't have time to develop the type of software that we offer, and they can usually save a lot of time and moneyby implementing our automated report and data delivery products.
    I have had several discussions with Midrange Computing andNews/400regarding posting to the forums, and they agreed that as long as I'm posting relevant responses and not doing major product promotion, that falls within the acceptable posting criteria.
    When in doubt, I think we have to err on the side of the First Amendment.
    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "The AS/400 Report and Data Delivery Experts"
    I thought I'd start this because of previous threads complaining about certain users pushing their own products in this forum (which I have no problem with). This has reminded me of the whole business of product advertisement in the iSeries/AS400 market. From the reviews I continuously read in the leading 400 magazines, I'm lead to believe that all 400 products are perfect. I have never read a bad review. Are all products tested as is, or are the vendors given a chance to supply PTF's until it is? Why can't the reviews be like the PC magazines? Is it because the PC mags. are not too worried about offending advertisers because +/- 60% of their content is advertising anyway. So let the vendors push their products here, and if they do, I hope that users who have the product, or loaded a trial version note their opinions also. As 400 users, this is all we have. An vendors, please continue to advertise in these fine publications so that this fine service may continue. Thanks

Comment

Product reviews

I agree. If you're posting without hype in direct response to a query and you declare your interest I can see no objection to pointing out that you have a commercial product that is relevant. Blatant commercials are another matter. Dave...

Comment

Product reviews

Companies that have top technical people in here answering questions and suggesting a solution of their's when appropriate should be considered a real plus for this forum. It's a preview of the kind of support you'd get with their product, as well as getting a feel for the quality of lead developers and software. You're right, David, we also need to be able to unload when we're not getting quality software and support, and we're all better off for it, including the vendor. Good idea. Ralph

Comment

Product reviews

I thought I'd start this because of previous threads complaining about certain users pushing their own products in this forum (which I have no problem with). This has reminded me of the whole business of product advertisement in the iSeries/AS400 market. From the reviews I continuously read in the leading 400 magazines, I'm lead to believe that all 400 products are perfect. I have never read a bad review. Are all products tested as is, or are the vendors given a chance to supply PTF's until it is? Why can't the reviews be like the PC magazines? Is it because the PC mags. are not too worried about offending advertisers because +/- 60% of their content is advertising anyway. So let the vendors push their products here, and if they do, I hope that users who have the product, or loaded a trial version note their opinions also. As 400 users, this is all we have. An vendors, please continue to advertise in these fine publications so that this fine service may continue. Thanks

Comment

Product reviews

We also need to note the very helpful technical advice given in other posts people like you and Joe Pluta make on an ongoing basis. Someone just jumping in to plug their product without making any other contributions and sharing knowledge doesn't show that quality of technical support that I was speaking of or any indication whatsoever of the quality of software and support will be for that matter. Ralph

Comment

Working...
            X