How to do your part to defeat the H1B Visa Scam on American Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do your part to defeat the H1B Visa Scam on American Jobs

Thanks for posting this, Jim. Last August my Congressman held 3 Town Meetings in the area. I attended 2 out of the 3. In BOTH of the sessions I attended, the issue of H1-B visas was brought up. I live in a "high tech" area, by the way. Part of the Congressman's response was that INS didn't have the staffing to track people who enter the country on these special visas. Anyone following current events can see that visas of any kind seem to be wide open, not just the H1-B's. It's sounding the the government might be serious about cracking down on people who, for example, enter the country on a "student visa" and then never show up to a class. If they crack down on that, I wonder if H1-B visa's will be examined more closely as well?

There are many good programmers unemployed around here and companies are STILL using contractors and full time employees that ARE NOT American citizens thanks to H1B. I'm tired of just complaining about this issue ... it's now time for action. For those of you that want to do something about this issue, go to http://www.programmersguild.org and research the facts. Then write letters and most importantly, SPREAD THE WORD to the programmers, user groups, the media and anyone that will take up the cause. A specific link of things that YOU can do to make a difference is at: http://www.programmersguild.org/Guild/fighth1b.htm Take a few minutes of your time to invest in our future. (I guess I had a little too much coffee this morning Jim Quinlan Clearwater, Florida

Comment

The loopholes abound for people to work in America illegally. I hope you're right and the government get's serious about enforcing the current weak laws. The AS/400 jobs are hit very hard but H1B affects other platforms just as bad. For the past few years, our local paper would have at least a page of Ad's for Computer / IT positions. Last Sunday there were only 4 ads in the entire Computer / IT column. I don't think they were even programming positions. I've heard from several programmer friends lately that have been laid off with no local prospects and it's getting me a bit concerned. The economy has magnified how this problem affects us ten fold. Thanks for the response, Jim Quinlan Clearwater, Florida

Comment

Working...
      X