Forum to last for 99.999?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum to last for 99.999?

Acutally Ian, the 400 and the iSeries have never been rated the coveted 5 9's (less than five minutes of unscheduled downtime in a year). ...and with the recent spate of disk drive failures, no one is shouting too much about its reliability.

Actually Mike, although you may be correct when you state less than five minutes of downtime a year may be embelishing a tad bit, I'd put the 400 or iSeries up against any (and I mean ANY) server and I'd bet dinner on the French Riveria I'd be the one dining. Your key word was "recent". The servers have ALWAYS had a reliability problems....guess you're just used to downtime. Oh by the way...just to beat a dead horse, the old "Green Screens" are still around much to your dismay. So...who's the "weakest link"? Goodbye!

Comment

So...who's the "weakest link"? Goodbye!
      So the dreaded Anne Robinson has successfully crossed the pond! :-( Dave...

Comment

I'm guessing so. I'm just "too" loyal to the AS/400's and occasionally I have to respond to people who apparently haven't been working on these systems as long as I have (I won't mention just how long that is). Actually, I feel the need for interfacing to all platforms ie notes, sql, VB and iSeries. I didn't intend to come across in a rude way...you know us old AS/400 folks. At any rate, have a great day and let's all hope IBM gets the disk failure situation resolved so we can all sleep better at night. Keep smiling :-)....no :-( !

Comment

Hello Kim: Both of your messages pinpoint the problems with the 400. Most people in the 400 world treat is as a religion and refuse to believe that green screen rpg programming is dead. It's gone, except for maintenance and conversions, which could last for decades (see COBOL dinasaurs for a glimpse of your future). The ratings for the top servers closest to 99.999% uptime (which no server has yet accomplished) is located at the Gartner group website. The 400 has never been in the top 10. The information at the site costs and I'm not currently at a company that has paid into it. If you have access to it, feel free to find the 400's place. Good luck. The recent disk crashes are probably an anomaly, but, it takes some of the shine out of the armor. FYI, I purchased AS/400 number 45 from IBM in June of 1988 and have been working with the platform since then (although I've been trying to get away from in it the last 3 years). Before that I worked on the S/38 platform for 7 years.

Comment

Most people in the 400 world treat is as a religion and refuse to believe that green screen rpg programming is dead. It's gone, except for maintenance and conversions, which could last for decades (see COBOL dinasaurs for a glimpse of your future). Mike, I rarely work in RPG any longer, so my comments pertain only to Cobol. Your statement is simply not accurate. I know of a lot of new development in Cobol on the 400 and on mainframes. We have more projects than people to do the work, and we just got more projects last week. Heck, I'd like to move on to new languages on other platforms as well, but in this economy this "dinosaur" will stay put and keep getting paid.

Comment

Amen to that, Susan. Ralph

Comment

Your statement is accurate..."Most people in the 400 world treat is as a religion and refuse to believe that green screen rpg programming is dead. It's gone, except for maintenance and conversions, which could last for decades (see COBOL dinasaurs for a glimpse of your future)." Purchased number 45 in 1988 and STILL working on the same platform? One would question why you haven't been able to find something more suitable in three years. I too have been on the 400's since 1988, S38 and S36 prior to that. Now, I support 400's domestically and internationally but also work on Dell, Compaq, and IBM Servers (Citrix, Novell, NT, SQL, Notes, VB, etc.), and an ever growing Compaq SAN. I find all very interesting and feel all are required to support our user and customer environments. I've not limited myself to one platform although obviously, I do have my preferrences. Best of luck in your continuing job search. There's room out there for all of us who are willing to learn legacy, current and new technologies.

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that I was only doing RPG work on the 400. I did a proof of concept project for VB on the 400 back in 1996 and a Java project last year. For the last 3 years I've been doing VARPG and it may still take off. I worked for a year and half on VB, PL/SQL, and C on a Unix platform project. Times are tough, but, there's work, even with a legacy connotation that is tied to as/400 experience. And yes, Susan, I too am happy to be employed doing anything, but, I couldn't possibly keep a straight face if someone recommended that a COBOL development project should be done on a 400. And Kim, which way do you want it, ridicule for sticking with the platform, or ridicule for lack of experience on the platform?

Comment

Whew...I sure feel better knowing you haven't just been doing RPG developement on an AS/400 as I had incorrectly understood. With your skills you should have no problem staying gainfully employeed...wherever that may be. Good luck with the VARPG project...hope it takes off. Legacy connotation...did I say that? Didn't think so. I've said enough. Actually, too much. No more comments on this from me.

Comment

It was interesting, as usual... Ralph

Comment

Legacy connotaton, you haven't been recently looking for work if you haven't heard that.

Comment

And yes, Susan, I too am happy to be employed doing anything, but, I couldn't possibly keep a straight face if someone recommended that a COBOL development project should be done on a 400. That's fine, Mike. My point was that there is new development in Cobol on the 400 and on mainframes and if that makes you laugh, great.

Comment

Ralph...I sent you e-mail to your midrange address.

Comment

My viewpoint is from the software services industry. You can't pick up many sales by tauting the virtues of a COBOL (or RPG for that matter) application. But, there will always be that small niche of companies where our legacy talents will be useful and the pay/billing rates will be better (I hope). My original point of looking to the COBOL world for RPG's future could not have been better highlighted by Susan's posts. Any work done by anyone is a noble endeavor. Someone, sowhere today, is making buggy whips, and proud to be doing it. Please don't get so uptight and defensive when I imply/state someone is a dinasaur, cause I'm looking directly in the mirror! I'm just tweaking your noses for ideas on what work to seek in the future. Sitting pat and improving RPG skills doesn't seem to be the way to go, but, I dunno.

Comment

Working...
                              X