How do you do it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you do it!

Acclimatize yourself. It gets better. Enjoy the hot breeze, turn off the crutch of air conditioning. I'm training for my first marathon race (October 21) in this Midwestern heat and am loving it. :-)

How do you do it!

Chuck, I am reminded of a Story Spalding Gray related in David Byrne's movie "True Stories". It seemed that when God was creating the earth, he had just got done laying down the soil for Texas, when he decided to take a break. Upon returning to his task, he found that the ground had become hard as concrete, and flat as far as the eye could see. He pondered what he should do next, when he was struck with an idea, "I know what I'll do" he said. "I'll just make people there who like it like that!" I live in Wisconsin, and the summer heat has been pretty bad here, also. But the 2 best seasons that we enjoy are Spring and Fall. Cheers! Dale

Comment

How do you do it!

Chuck, Unfortunately, your timing was ALL WRONG. Since last Thursday 8/9, it has been in the low 80's and absolutely wonderful, here in Kansas City. However, I DO remember the heat and bugs you were referring to. That was one of the worst stretches of oppressive weather I can remember for a long time. The only things you can do are, stay in the AC and if you must go out, drink lots of WATER, NOT soda or beer. I don't know how much longer this wonderful weather will last but I'm hoping it's at least another 8 weeks.

Comment

How do you do it!

I just spent a week in Blue Springs, Missouri a suburb in Kansas City. My daughter's travel softball team was there for the AFA World Series. They did well, finishing 9th out of 80 teams.
        While I was there (week of July 29th),I experienced weather like nothing I've ever experienced before. Well, maybe I had since I grew up in the Midwest, but I certainly don't remember anything like it. In a wordit was MISERABLE. The temperature was about 100 every day with at least 100% humidity. In just the short walk from the hotel to the car my shirt was wet with sweat. We made special effort to hydrate the girls while they were out in the heat for fear of heat stroke.
        The coach normally has a 10 minute talkwith the girls after each game, but not during that week, we all jumped in our rental cars and made a beeline to the hotel lobby for the "after game" meeting.
        And bugs! I'd forgotten about that aspect of the Midwest. Within minutes of being on the freeway after picking up the car at the airport my windshield had smashed bugs on it. Egads, what a mess. When the sun went down it got worse, with bugs flying around everywhere. We spent most of our non-game time indoors at the mall, eating or at the hotel.
        And, it doesn't cool off at night, it's still hot! What's up with that? In fact,it felt worse because the breezejust stopped and the air was so thick I could cut it with a knife. Getting out of an air conditioned car into the muggy air actually made my glasses fog up!
        Speaking of fogging up, the hotel room windows were fogged up most of the time. Condensation from the air conditioning is the only thing I could think of. The shower mirror was always fogged up after a shower, rendering it useless.
        Why do people live like this?
        I now look back on the weekend in July at a tournament in Las Vegas where the temperature was 117with fondness. At least in Las Vegas I didn't perspire! I hatewet clothes.
        Chuck, glad to be home where 105 feels downright cool!
        Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Working...
        X