One month aniversary of MC's shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One month aniversary of MC's shutdown

I now spend most of my Forum activity time over at http://www.as400network.com/ Below is a thread that I posted over there this morning. Not knowing when the MC Forum may disappear forever, my main forum participation has migrated over there for items that I want to be able to reference for a long period of time. --------------------------------------- Date: August 26, 2001 05:06 AM Author: Frank Whittemore (frankgw@adelphia.net) Subject: PC Servers vs AS/400 Hmmm - My site has just experienced the opposite problem. Our 2 year old Dell PC Server running Novell's Netware 4.11 just failed causing an expensive outage! Still not sure what caused the original outage. Did the AS/400 that you're speaking of have mirroring and/or RAID? Was Service Director being used? How big a shop in terms of AS/400 users is your friend involved with? Is it mostly custom or packaged software? I, too, would be interested in hearing what other forum users think about your friend's and my situations. In general, how does one know when it's best to move more towards the IBM iSeries or more towards WINTEL? As a long time IBM midrange user, I can say with certainty that the WINTEL folks have been eating IBM's midrange lunch in the smaller accounts over the last 10 or more years in my Central New York geographic area. What do the rest of you see happening? Do you smaller AS/400 account folks find youselves under increasing pressure to switch? Just how far have the Wintel folks made it into your shop? Did it start with spreadsheets and then spread to word processing? Where will it all end? What is your friend's position in this battle?

As long as these forums are still here, I'll still be on these forums. Dave

Comment

Dave said: As long as these forums are still here, I'll still be on these forums. Ted says: Me too.

Comment

I just checked on the Network Solutions site and the midrangecomputing.com domain registration expires on Sept. 20, 2001. Do you suppose this is the next big "red letter day"? Steve

Comment

I think it will be the next "This really sucks," day. I will miss this site very much. -Bret

Comment

Has anyone been using the news.rjssoftware.com discussion forum?? How is it? It Looks pretty primitive, compared to this one. It looks to me like it only contains the messages we have posted here???

Comment

Has anyone been using the news.rjssoftware.com discussion forum?? How is it? It Looks pretty primitive, compared to this one.

Comment

It looks like a news group portal. When we post messages here, they also go into MC's news groups. If his site is looking at MC's newgroups, then that will stop functioning when this forum bites the big one. ==Scott==

Comment

It's the ONLY one I use now since everything here is mirrored. It's actually a "superset" of this newsgroup since it includes all of this newsgroup plus more messages.
                  However, I posted this one back on midrange computing's site since it appears that you don't use rjs' site and, thus, would never have seen this message.
                  chuck
                  Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
                  Has anyone been using the news.rjssoftware.com discussion forum?? How is it? It Looks pretty primitive, compared to this one. It looks to me like it only contains the messages we have posted here???

Comment

How does that differ from any other day :-) Dave

Comment

I've just continued to use the RPGIV list forum as well as their new forum discussion group. Maybe I'll take a peek at the News400 for, don't know. I've been on the Share400 and RPGenerationX sites as well, but they don't compare to the group of users on this forum. I'm not going to the RJS forum out of dislike for them drumming up users during the final days of Midrange. Call me silly, but it just didn't sit well with me. I know it's business, but I didn't care much for any reply to questions on this site being followed with a sales pitch for RJS packages.

Comment

Hello Chris,
                        We are currently doing a one-way mirror of the Midrange Computing Newsgroups. If you post messages to the MRC forums on our site they will not get mirrored back to the MRC site. When the Midrange site goes away, the archives will still be left online, however unless you and the others here use the site it won't be much use to you or others.
                        We will also be adding forums for RJS customers, but you don't have to view our forums unless you have an interest.
                        Since you're using the web interface it is definitely primitive in comparison to the MRC site at this point.
                        We will be adding some more features if the site gets used, but right now it appears there is not much interest. Too bad for that.
                        Regards,
                        Richard Schoen
                        RJS Software Systems Inc.
                        "The AS/400 Report and Data Delivery Experts"

Comment

Hello Chuck,
                          You are correct. We're currently mirroring the MRC site in a one-way direction, so the site won't do much good for people unless they use it.
                          We'll continue to mirror the MRC forums until the site goes away. Then people will have to decide whether to jump to News/400 or one of the other lists.
                          You'll get a chuckle out of this. I posted an announcement in the News/400 "Shooting the Breeze Forum" and it was acknowledged that it was an acceptable announcement and then it disappeared after a week. Ain't censorship grand :-)
                          Regards,
                          Richard Schoen
                          It's the ONLY one I use now since everything here is mirrored. It's actually a "superset" of this newsgroup since it includes all of this newsgroup plus more messages.
                          However, I posted this one back on midrange computing's site since it appears that you don't use rjs' site and, thus, would never have seen this message.
                          chuck
                          Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Hello Scott,
                            Our site is not simply a portal. We're currently doing a one-way mirror of the forums here.
                            We will continue to mirror the MRC site until it goes away. Then people will have to decide to move to News/400, news.rjssoftware.com or some other site.
                            Any feedback to make the site better can be directed to my email address.
                            Regards,
                            Richard Schoen
                            It looks like a news group portal. When we post messages here, they also go into MC's news groups. If his site is looking at MC's newgroups, then that will stop functioning when this forum bites the big one. ==Scott==

Comment

Hello Michael,
                              You're welcome to your opinions of RJS Software Systems Inc, however you misinterpreted my offer to launch a news forum.
                              I use these forums as much as any of you do and I provide technical input as well as relevent sales pitches on occasion. I would like to see this community stay intact and thereforespent many hours or personal time setting up the news.rjssoftware.com site so that Midrange Computing Forum Users could continue to have a shared online home. While I don't expect thanks, I would hope the site gets used.
                              If you and the other choose not to use the news.rjssoftware.com site I will understand, but it makes me sad to see this community fall apart because ofpride.
                              Start visiting the news.rjssoftware.com site and providing relevent feedback so we can make it useful for all of us.
                              Point your news reader to: news://news.rjssoftware.com or visit http://news.rjssoftware.com and start posting messages.
                              Regards,
                              Richard Schoen
                              I've just continued to use the RPGIV list forum as well as their new forum discussion group. Maybe I'll take a peek at the News400 for, don't know. I've been on the Share400 and RPGenerationX sites as well, but they don't compare to the group of users on this forum. I'm not going to the RJS forum out of dislike for them drumming up users during the final days of Midrange. Call me silly, but it just didn't sit well with me. I know it's business, but I didn't care much for any reply to questions on this site being followed with a sales pitch for RJS packages.

Comment

Working...
                              X