No announcement yet.

Celeron versus Pentium PC processors???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celeron versus Pentium PC processors???

Celerons vs PENTIUM, IMHO, is like a base model car compared with one with more options. Celeron is like the 4 cylinder engine, 13 inch steel wheels, am/fm radio, no power windows... the bare bones basic car. Pentiums are the same car but the premium models: 6 cyl dual overhead cam, 16 inch alloy wheels, power everything, Bose premium 6 speakers with CD changer, heated seats. HTH Phil

Frank,
    As a general rule a Pentium III running at the same speed as a Celeron will run about 20% - 30% faster. But that's not the real story. Right now a 900 MHz Celeron costs $99 (I know, I just bought one) and a Pentium III at 1 GHz costsover $200. The Celeron is much more cost effective.
    Also, other factors make a major difference. When I moved from a 600mhz Celeron to a 900 MHz Celeron (I have it clocked at 999mhz) there was a noticeable difference, but not awe inspiring. However, when I changed my disk drive from a 5400 rpm drive to a 7200 rpm drive the difference was VERY significant.
    Of course, this all depends on what kinds of apps you use. If you are big into games, then the CPU speed and video card speeds will be important. If you're more into disk heavy apps, as most of us are, such as Word, Excel, FrontPage, video editing, etc. then the disk speed improvement is paramount.
    When I load Word XP now, from the time I click on the icon to the time it's ready for me to start typing is less than 3 seconds. Most of that is due to disk speed increase.
    chuck
    Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
    What are the pros and cons of buying pentium versus celeron PC processors for a business environment? Where might I find more information on this subject?

Comment

I decided to do some research on the Intel web site. Here is some of what I found. ---------------------------------------- THE INTEL CELERON PROCESSOR The Intel Celeron processor is Intel's proven platform for value-priced business desktops and home PCs. With the advances of the Intel P6 architecture, it delivers great performance at an exceptional value. In all its available speeds, the Intel Celeron processor delivers Intel quality, reliability, and compatibility. Intel Celeron processors are available in both plastic pin grid array (PPGA) and flip-chip pin grid array (FC-PGA) form factors. PPGA and FC-PGA packages are compatible with the 370-pin socket and provide an opportunity for OEMs to introduce new system designs while lowering manufacturing costs. The Intel Celeron processor is backed by over 25 years of Intel experience in manufacturing high-quality, reliable microprocessors. --------------------------- A: If you want a PC today that will allow you to access the Internet and run simple programs, are willing to tolerate slow performance when surfing the web, printing, or running programs, and aren't concerned with how long your computer will be adequate, then a lower speed Pentium III processor or an Intel® Celeron™ processor may be right for you. If you don't like waiting, expect high performance, want your PC to last for as long as possible, or run intensive applications on your computer, then a faster Pentium III processor may be right for you. If you want a high-performance PC for a great Internet experience today, and headroom for the applications and Web sites of the future, look for a PC featuring a high performance Intel Pentium III processor. Our Buyer's Guide is good place to start your search. -------------------------------- Intel® Pentium® 4 processors: power for Microsoft Office XP and the next-generation business desktop Microsoft* Office* XP offers a host of valuable, productivity enhancing features to small and large businesses. But like other advanced productivity software packages, Office XP places an additional burden on processor performance. Powerful features like XML-based Smart Tags, improved multimedia handling, and collaborative document creation all demand high performance systems and processors to run responsively in today's multitasked environments. The Intel® Pentium® 4 processor was specifically designed for the advanced capabilities found in Office XP. In addition to processor clock speeds that reach to 2GHz and beyond, the Pentium 4 processor boasts a number of key capabilities. Hyper Pipelined Technology with Trace Caching: The optimized pipeline keeps instructions moving smoothly through the processor, even as clock frequencies move beyond 2GHz. 400MHz System Bus: The Pentium 4 processor swaps data with the system at a rate three times faster than the Intel® Pentium® III processor—a key advantage for data-heavy tasks such as media handling. Rapid Execution Engine: The supercharged integer execution unit allows many key integer instructions to execute at twice the rate of the processor core, enabling higher throughput and response. Enhanced Floating Point/Multimedia Unit: Video, graphics and image processing, as well as financial, scientific and engineering computing all benefit from this enhanced processor unit. Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2) Technology: New instructions build on the benefit of Intel® MMX™ technology and Streaming SIMD Extensions to deliver large performance gains when working with video, images, speech recognition, data encryption, and a host of other tasks. Together, these capabilities yield a processor that can manage the increased performance loads created by powerful software like Office XP. Systems not only provide more responsive performance, they provide a longer useful life as well. Reduced system churn and the ability to run useful background processes eases IT management challenges and helps reduce total cost of ownership. For more detail on how the Pentium 4 processor is tuned for today's emerging computing challenges read the entire white paper, "Intel Pentium 4 Processors: Power for Microsoft Office XP and the Next-Generation Business Desktop."

Comment

What are the pros and cons of buying pentium versus celeron PC processors for a business environment? Where might I find more information on this subject?

Comment

Chuck you got the idea! All PC buyers are looking at the speed of the processor when the most important issue is the speed of the other equipments around the CPU. My friend illustrated this thing by comparation to cars: 'Do you take a car with a motor which makes 6000 rpm or do you prefer a car with 9000 rpm motor?' (No question of horsepower, no question of gears, no question of speed etc.)

Comment

Working...
          X