FTP and multiple files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP and multiple files

Am starting to use FTP and am confused as to how to get multiple files transferred from the AS/400 to the PC. I'm trying to get libraries to CD to restore to another AS/400 and am doing the copy to tape and back process. Is there anywhere I can find out what the error messages mean. I've tried it from a DOS screen and via an emulation screen and still haven't managed yet. I keyed on the emulation screen: get qsys.lib/cdtest/lib/*.* c:cdtest I get the message "character : not allowed in object name" In DOS, I get: error opening local file c:cdtest with a c:cdtest:13 on the next line. Can anyone tell me what the problem is ??

FTP and multiple files

When getting multiple files use MGET instead of GET....

Comment

FTP and multiple files

Sorry, folks, MGET was used

Comment

FTP and multiple files

Jim, "I'm trying to get libraries to CD to restore to another AS/400 and am doing the copy to tape and back process." If the final target is another 400, I wouldn't suggest using either GET or MGET. Among other things, you'll lose the member descriptions (text, type, date, etc) and also statement sequence numbers and dates. Instead of using FTP on the members you have a couple of better (IMHO) choices: - Use SAVOBJ (or other SAVxxx command) to a *SAVF. Transfer this SAVF to the other 400 via whatever means -- if using FTP be sure to use binary image mode. Then use RSTxxx on the target 400 to restore the object(s). Use this method if the machines are not directly connected. I use this method routinely -- so much so that I have PDM options to select members/objects to transfer which package the *SAVF and FTP it to my PC's desktop. And then I have a pcAnywhere transfer which syncs my FTP hold file with a remote site, and another desktop icon to FTP it up to that 400 and restore it. Quite convienent and pcAnywhere is *very* fast at sending SAVFs of source members. I don't know how Norton does the compression but the throughput is amazing given the connect speeds involved. - If the two systems are connected, check out the SAVRSTxxx commands which are part of ObjectConnect. This is a separately installable option of 57xx-SS1, but is now no-charge. Configuration information is in the Backup and Recovery manual -- look in the index for ObjectConnect. The SAVRSTxxx commands are in essence an automated SAVxxx, transfer, and RSTxxx wrapped into one easy to use command. Once configured, it is the slickest way to transfer objects between two AS/400s which are connected. I recently recommended it on this forum to Ted Holt, but had to go out of town and never did the follow-up on configuration. I'm home now and just starting to catch up on the forums. I'll be posting another message to Ted with some configuration pointers. Doug

Comment

Working...
        X