Turn on terminal & have no signon & start program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn on terminal & have no signon & start program

I have seen a technique in the past where: - you turn on a terminal - there is no sign-on screen - a program is started automatically My faulty memory remembers some components but not all. These are something like: - A job description that has a specific user profile specified - a workstation entry for the interactive subsystem that specifies the job description ...that's all I can remember Could someone enlighten me?! Thanks, David Stanfield (dstanfield@focalsystems.com.au)

In CA/400 there is a way to store the user ID and password, and then bypass the sign-on screen. TTBOMK this can not be done from a dumb terminal. The user profile in question must have a startup program specified. This is usually a CL program where that calls a specific interactive application followed by a SIGNOFF command. In addition, the 5250 session within CA/400 has to be part of the windows STARTUP group. The combination of these events could lead to the scenario you describe. Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave Unfortunately this needs to occur for Dumb terminals as well.

Comment

Let me refresh your memory: 1. Create a job description with a defined user and program to call. You can also add other details like library lists, job log, etc. 2. Get the workstation-id of the dumb terminal where you want it to run. 3. Add a workstation entry (ADDWSE) to your interactive subsystem. Here, you specify your selected workstation-id and job description. May I know where you plan to use this? I have known about this feature for over 10 years now, but I have never found any use for it.

Comment

Terminals on factory shop floor, that are shared. These are in a secured area. There is only one program that they run, by turning on the terminal and running the required program directly there is a minimal need to maintain a large number of user profiles. Thanks for your response

Comment

I have tried the procedure described by Ricardo P Aug but I cant get it to work I still keep getting a signon screen can anyone help

Comment

Default User IDs Can Be a Potential Security Breach

It is possible to set up a subsystem in a manner that allows users to log on to your AS/400 without requiring them to enter a user ID or password. Why would you want to do this? You might have a situation in which you need to have a multitude of users who are restricted to very specific tasks and areas of your AS/400, but for whom you don?t want to set up individual profiles. This could be due to a high turnover rate in a given department, or perhaps you have a secure public terminal to allow some type of inquiry. Whatever the reason, you should know that this method is available and be familiar with how it works. That way, you can monitor for its use in any situation that you weren?t expecting. The default in the USER parameter on the Create Subsystem Description (CRTSBSD) command is *RQD, which means a valid user ID and password are required to use this subsystem. This means you must explicitly enter a valid user ID and password when you sign on. However, by placing a default valid user profile in that field, you are telling the system to use that profile for any job running in that subsystem. You could then set up default workstation device entries in that subsystem description, using the Add Workstation Entry (ADDWSE) command. Now, when a workstation device of that name attaches to the AS/400 (and it can be a partial name using the asterisk wildcard character), it will automatically be routed to that susbsystem. This workstation can now start an interactive job by having someone press the Enter key. No user ID or password is required, since one has already been entered in the USER parameter of the subsystem description. This technique works only at security levels of 30 or below. If you are using security auditing, an audit entry will be placed in the audit journal of type AF, subtype S. For levels 40 and 50, this method of logging on to your AS/400 is not supported. To prevent this type of unauthorized access, you should regularly review your subsystem descriptions for discrepancies and limit who has authority to change subsystem descriptions.

Midrange Computing, May 1997

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply but I cant find a "user" parameter on the CRTSBSD command on either of our 2 as/400's one at sec level 30 and the other at 40 ( we are at v4r4 )

Comment

You're right. That's a misprint. The USER parameter is on the CRTJOBD or CHGJOBD command(s).

Comment

Working...
                  X