Cobol++ replaces JAVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobol++ replaces JAVA

HI I was on the Search/400 site and got in on the chat with Roger Pence. A question was asked if IBM was working on a new language to replace JAVA. Roger 's reply to this was " Yes. Cobol++ " was this a joke? Frank

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

Frank, I am *STILL* laughing! :-) I HOPE it's true just so I can drop all of the Java classes that I have signed up for this fall. I'd much rather spend my time and my money on fun stuff. Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if this was for real, so I'll go to my Java classes as planned. Thanks for the diversion, I needed it today! Is today April 1st, per chance?

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

I heard that DDS on the /400 is going away too Bret

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

So that's what the "C" in C++ stands for )

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

Steve Winchell wrote: what the "C" in C++ stands for C and C++ were grades. :-) Dave

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

The letter 'B' had been used for a prior programming language, hence 'C' comes after 'B' What ever happened to visual cobol; is there a visual RPG? bobh

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

A company called ASNA produces Visual RPG. They came out with it first, ergo IBM produces "Visual Age for RPG". Dave

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

David, ASNA also had structured programming for the /34 and /36 before IBM did with release 4.0 of the S/36 CPF and never for the /34. I used IFxx, CASxx, CABxx (so sue me), DOUxx, DOWxx, DO, and the Indicator Array *IN,XX long before IBM provided. If I remember correctly, ASNA also wrote the kernel for IBM's ODBC driver. Not sure about that one, so don't quote me or blast me, please. Dave Ferguson and his wife Ann, are quite the friendly and helpful type. Beckman and Krantzner, from the other magazine, came from ASNA when they moved their company location. Later, Bret

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

There is such a thing as object-oriented COBOL. I've never worked with it, so I don't know who makes the compilers.

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

Microfocus makes COBOL compilers for Windows, and Unix based systems. I understand the newer versions are OO. The versions I worked with were not. Dave

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

IBM has object-oriented COBOL compilers. They call it OO COBOL.

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

LegacyJ (www.legacyj.com) has a cobol compiler for the AS/400 which compiles cobol to java byte code, thus allowing COBOL to run atop the Java Virtual Machine. It is called PERCobol, and it gives you the benefits of Java but lets you maintain/program in COBOL. So basically it IS Cobol++!

Comment

Cobol++ replaces JAVA

guest user wrote: "So basically it IS Cobol++!" Can the COBOL code be subclassed? Are the COBOL procedures polymorphic? If the compiler generates a big class that executes on the JVM, big whoopee. Is it that hard to get a COBOL compiler running everywhere a JVM runs? I think it's been done. Talk about jumping on a slow bandwagon... Ralph ralph@ee.net

Comment

Working...
                          X