convert AS400 spooled files to Microsoft Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert AS400 spooled files to Microsoft Word

Hi, Is it possible to convert an AS400 spooled file to a Microsoft Word document which in turn can be e-mailed to someone ? If so, what is the easiest way to do this ? Our AS400 has V4R4M0 and we have Client Access Express. Thanks. Jim Sovick

I do a CPYSPLF into a "regular" file, and then FTP it to my PC. I would love to learn a more elegant solution because my way only works some of the time. When the text of the SPLF goes all the way to the right margin, it makes for an ugly wrap-around in Word. For example, I have a SPLF of a compiled listing. The date stamps on the far right of the AS/400 spooled file appear in the left of my Word document, each on its own line. For source file prints that do NOT have text at the right margin, the CPYFSPLF then FTP method seems to be sufficient. I'd love to learn a better way ........

Comment

The easiest way is to use Operation Navigator and drap the spooled file to your desktop. This will create a .txt file which looks fine in Notepad but wraps in Word.

Comment

In the June 2000 issue of Midrange Computing is an article titled "Easily Distribute AS/400 Reports with Microsoft Exchange. In that article is code to convert a spool file to .RTF format which can be e-mailed and opened with Microsoft Word.

Comment

Bradley Stone has a great utility SPLTOOL and SPL2EMAIL that I just got working today. It's so easy to install that I got it working without any real problems and I was just taking AS/400 reports and converting them to Adobe .pdf files and attaching them to e-mail to send out to regions. This all takes place in one command. His site for the shareware is: href="http://www.bvstools.com/">http://www.bvstools.com PS - If you have Client Access you can also use the CPYTOPCD or CPYFROMPCD commands.

Comment

Susan (and Jim), I just did a test and it worked wonderfully. Started Word 97. Set printer device to be a wide-carriage printer (this is for the wide printouts). Set font to TT Courier New 10. Started Operations Navigator. Found my printout via: machine name / Basic Operations / Printer Output. Right-clicked / Copy. Started Windows Explorer. Selected a work folder and Right-Clicked / Paste. In Word 97, Insert/File. Selected the text file copied down. Worked perfectly. Bill

Comment

I also use SPLTOOL & SPL2EMAIL, it's great. Download it and you'll see why. Peter

Comment

Working...
              X