Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I add graphics to a document without using AFP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I add graphics to a document without using AFP?

Here's the situation - I am trying to add the capability of e-mailing bills to our third party software. Currently, the billing program generates the bills as a single spool file in an SCS data stream containing only text and a clerk loads pre-printed forms to the printer before printing. The pre-printed form is composed of a corporate logo and print boxes that eventually contain dollar amounts. I have added an OVRPRTF that uses an overlay which contains the information from the pre-printed form and generates AFPDS so that, when I e-mail the bill, it will still have print boxes and the corporate logo. Since the program generates all the bills into a single spool file, I have to have a solution that will both convert the AFPDS stream to PDF and "burst" the single spool file into multiple bills. I have looked at several commercial solutions to this but they seem to do one but not both of these tasks (at least the ones which are 'pure' /400 solutions - /400 to PC hybrids are not an option). That being said, now I am looking at reverting to the original SCS stream and attempting to add graphics after the spool file is created. Can this be done? If so, how? Is there some way to merge an IFS file containing spool file text with another file containing the graphic? Is there a way to add graphics to an SCS data stream? Any suggestions gladly considered! Thanks for reading this far, Steve

Steve McKay asked: Is there a way to add graphics to an SCS data stream? It depends on your printer. I have been able to send GDDM graphic data to 4234, and certain other *SCS matrix printers, but I have not been able to do this with the very common 3812 printer type. Consult the GDDM manual for further info. Dave

Comment

David - Alas, I don't want to print it, I want to convert it to PDF and e-mail it! Steve

Comment

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I would look at Acom's EZPrint/400 product. It can take a *SCS type spool file and add graphics. It can also act on all or part of a spool file based on criteria. Sounds like a fit for what you want. If you could get your original spool file re-generated into multiple spool files (1 per addressee) then the e-mail sending part would be a cinch.

Comment

Working...
        X