Anyone using BEA TUXEDO on an AS/400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using BEA TUXEDO on an AS/400?

We're trying to get TUXEDO from BEA to work on our AS/400. This whole scenario using a UNIX based product coupled with the IFS is very new to us. In addition we're using ILE/COBOL. Something must be wrong with our environment variables; When issuing "tmboot" we get an error on the "exec BBL". Seems that BBL cannot be found. The BEA recommended consultant we hired was of no help with this error; he has no AS400 knowledge at all. Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone? Phil

My first question is does BBL exist on the AS/400? The second question is about the path/library list. Is the path/library list specified correctly to find BBL? We do have TUXEDO (don't know much about it) but we don't run it on the AS/400.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes there is an AS/400 *PGM object called BBL in library "TUXLIB". Is there a path/library list specified to find BBL????? This is where I have the problem! I have no idea *WHAT* to check! I am grasping at straws with how this all works until it all finally clicks in my brain. Is there an AS/400 "ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE" needed? Is this simply that TUXLIB should be in the library list of the userprofile "TUXEDO" that is issuing the call to tmboot? Again, thanks for any insite with this problem. Phil

Comment

I think the light bulb is coming one. The AS/400 cannot find programs that are not in their library lists. Make sure that the library is in the library list either for the user or the job. This can be done by using a specific Job Description on the user profile that has the library list needed. Alternately you can have the user profiles current library (will be just below the system library list and system defined user library list). I prefer the job description because it can be used even when submitting jobs.

Comment

The AS400 environment (native) I don't have any problems with using. It's the "connections" with IFS based software. I had no idea whether TUXEDO was using one of the environment variables to find the BBL object in the AS/400 HFS system or "what". BEA's documentation is quite sparse for the AS400 requirements. I will recheck the library list for the TUXEDO userprofile. That makes perfect sense that "TUXLIB" needs to be in there to find object "BBL". Thanks again Phil

Comment

Alternatively, you could specify a call to TUXLIB/BBL, rather than simply BBL. Dave

Comment

I have no control over the call to BBL. It is done by TUXEDO itself internally, using some kind of "bridge" from TUXEDO IFS to AS400 HFS. The job log shows a TUXEDO generated error message "exec BBL -A" and something along the lines that it could not find "BBL". Phil

Comment

Okay, let me see if I get the environment set up correct. TUXEDO is running on a pc/unix machine. It is getting data from the AS/400. Tech Support for TUXEDO suggested a consultant (at your cost?). Is that the situation? If so, how is TUXEDO making the connection to the AS/400 and what is the profile name used by TUXEDO. If it is a connection by ODBC also check the connection to make sure the right libraries are there. Most connections from a pc will be ODBC (not sure about Unix). The actual user on the AS/400 (that determines the library list) will be QUSER but usually adopt the authority of the original username

Comment

Maybe I am using the wrong terms. TUXEDO is "running" all on the AS/400. But there seems to be some *part* of it "running" from the IFS of the AS/400. How this all works is evading me at this time. Yes, BEA recommended we hire this consultant to get us up and running fast with TUXEDO. His not having any AS400 knowledge is a real setback. Phil

Comment

What is TUXEDO? bobh

Comment

TUXEDO is an OLTP (OnLine Transaction Process or Program) usually on a UNIX box. Was compared to CICS to me; I don't know CICS either. Kinda does what MQSeries does too. Other than that I am in the dark.

Comment

Go to a 400 command line ==> and type in qsh, and see if the Unix shell comes up. bobh

Comment

Yes Bob, I get "QSH Command Entry" at top of screen and a "$" at upper left. At bottom is a command entry line. What have I got? Phil

Comment

You're in the Unix shell; maybe you can get the thing working from there. ????? bobh

Comment

That may be possible, but wasn't the intent of the package to run it "in there". I'm supposed to be able to write an ILE program (COBOL in my case) that calls a TUXEDO "program" (I kinda think of it as an API call) that somehow invokes TUXEDO within the IFS. Then TUXEDO does what I requested (like call a TUXEDO "server" program {which might be in another country} and pass it some data string). Then my "client" program gets a response. I'm still learning. BEA is currently on Christmas Holiday, so I have to wait for them to return. I figured if anyone else has run TUXEDO on an AS/400 they might have run into similiar situation. Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X