WIN98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN98

Found a gotcha in WIN98. Installed it over the weekend on my home PC, a Packard Bell 586 (200 mhz). It has an internal modem make unknown. I have 2 printers attached to LPT1 via an A/B switch. WIN98 (update version) ignored WIN95 IRQ settings, established a resource conflict between the modem (COM1) and the Canon color printer, made the printer an Unknown Device, and did away with COM1. I mean it's not listed as a device resource. When I blew away the Unknown, COM1 came back. Didn't know the vendor of the modem (yet) so I installed a default. Went back and reinstalled the Canon print drivers, rebooted, and low and behold COM1 is gone again. WIN98 Plug N' Play sucks. Now I start the phone calls and watch the finger pointing. You know what I mean. It's a hardware vendor proble. No, it's the software vendor problem. I just love wasting my time.Regards. Jack McGuigan - MIS Manager - American Life Ins. Co.

WIN98

On Monday, July 20, 1998, 06:06 AM, Jack McGuigan wrote: Found a gotcha in WIN98.... WIN98 (update version) ignored WIN95 IRQ settings, established a resource conflict between the modem (COM1)...
    Hmmmm...

Comment

WIN98

It just goes to show you,,, That if Microsoft made cars, your would have to push the start button to turn the darn thing off! And the car would crash twice a day for no apparant reason. David Abramowitz

Comment

WIN98

To top it off, I received a WIN98 T-shirt in today's mail for participating in the WIN98 launch spiel by Billy G last month. I never went, or participated. I'm trying to verify this, but I suspect if I de-intall 98, connect the printer directly to the parallel port (no A/B box), and re-install 98, resource address and IRQs conflicts will get resolved. Maybe not. COM1 and LPT1 are distinct ports and should be recognized from the start as existing, by any operating system. One thing I forgot to mention, my internal modem is allocated as COM1. COM2 is the serial port. And WIN98 stepped on some of the Packard Bell hardware setup and diagnostic DLLs. They're gone too. Regards. Jack McGuigan - MIS Manager - American Life Ins. Co.

Comment

WIN98

Contacted Packard Bell Tech Support web site. Found out the modem conflict is a known problem. Printed out the correction instructions. The fix involves editing the registry to clean out certain bad entries, rebooting under DOS, deleting some directory entries, restarting WIN, reinstalling the modem drivers, and a last reboot. I haven't tried this yet. I hope to try it tonight. Then I can see what other traps Billy G and his crew have provided.Regards. Jack McGuigan - MIS Manager - American Life Ins. Co.

Comment

Working...
          X