Data Transfer from AS/400 to PC using VB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Transfer from AS/400 to PC using VB

From a VB program I need to attach to the As/400 and retrieve a data file from a specified library. I do not need this to be fancy, I just need the data! Now for the hard part: 1) The AS/400 file has multiple members. 2) The data in the file is variable length. 3) I need to be able to control the positioning of the "CRLF". 4) I need to be able to suppress the "EOF" . 5) The file being created on the PC is a text file. If I use client access to transfer the file, the "CRLF" is placed after the last typed character in each record. The program that will read this file is expecting the "CRLF" to be in a specified position depending upon the record type. (Header, detail, footer) CA/400 also places a "EOF" character at the end of the text file. The program that reads the file will interpret this as an error. I am NOT a VB programmer, and I know just enough to be dangerous. I do know about ODBC. We have VB4.0 and are purchasing 6.0 If you can spare a minute PLEASE, I NEED CODE! Thank you for your help.

For a multiple member file, you may have to use OLE with ADO, rather than ODBC. ODBC has a tendency to return only the first member of a file. IBM provides an SDK with CA/400 (releases V3R2 and higher) for VB development with OLE and ADO. This used to be known as Project Lightning and with good reason. Record level access is possible using this method. That's the good news. The bad news is that it may be difficult to use. Dave

Comment

If it will make it easier, I can create seperate files on the AS/400 for each member.

Comment

Working...
      X