S/36 & RPG & other languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/36 & RPG & other languages

On Monday, September 22, 1997, 08:33 PM, Silvana Ko wrote: We have an opening position for senior programmer. One of the candidates saying he has 12 years experience on S/34 & S36 and another 5 years on AS/400. But he said he has never had RPG programs. Is this possible? For his 3-page long resume, he used only one term- COBOL, not even one other word about CL, DDS, SQL, SEU, SDA, QUERY, etc. How much I can trust with his resume? And yet my boss said he is the best from the list! Silvana I would have to be very suspicious of anyone who spent 17 years around midranges and avoided RPG.bobh which came first: the WEB or the Browser???

On Tuesday, September 23, 1997, 08:09 AM, Bob Hamilton wrote: On Monday, September 22, 1997, 08:33 PM, Silvana Ko wrote: We have an opening position for senior programmer. One of the candidates saying he has 12 years experience on S/34 & S36 and another 5 years on AS/400. But he said he has never had RPG programs. Is this possible? For his 3-page long resume, he used only one term- COBOL, not even one other word about CL, DDS, SQL, SEU, SDA, QUERY, etc. How much I can trust with his resume? And yet my boss said he is the best from the list! Silvana I would have to be very suspicious of anyone who spent 17 years around midranges and avoided RPG. bobh which came first: the WEB or the Browser??? OK...I have spent 11 years between the S/36 and the AS/400 and just started dealing with RPG within the past year, previously it was all COBOL. It is possible to do this in the midrange world, not everyone uses RPG. However, I would be suspect of anyoune who only mentioned COBOL when talking about a S/36 or AS/400. Kevin

Comment

It would be hard to judge the person without knowing the environment in which he worked. It just depends on what is most important to you in an employee--- specific RPG skills or someone who makes a nice fit into your team.

Comment

I would be suspicious of anyone with 5 years of AS/400 experience who would want to go back to working on a S/36! Personally, I would view this an one gigantic step backwards. Yes, it is possible for someone to have just COBOL experience. Let's face it, the resume is just step #1. You can ask all kinds of questions during the next step - the job interview. Ask about why he's willing to go back to working on a S/36. Ask what he knows about CL, DDS, SQL, SEU, SDA and Query. If he passes this step, invite him back for a 2nd interview. Ask him to sit down at a terminal and make a quick change to a CL program for you. Ask him to write a query for you. If he passes that test, be sure to ask for and check 3 references. Many years ago I had a client who hired someone to operate their B-80 computer. She managed to delete critical files from their diskpack on 3 separate occasions. The 3rd time they fired her and only then learned that she had been fired from her previous job as well. Well, good luck. Hiring someone is always one of life's adventures. So is being hired! Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Comment

Basic and Fortran are also available for the S/36. The only implementation I have ever seen of this was at a small business college in New England, which was using the S/36 as a programming trainer. This was many years ago. BTW, Basic and Fortran can not be used at the same time on the S/36 due to subroutine conflicts. David Abramowitz

Comment

Working...
          X