AS400/SSP36 Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS400/SSP36 Tuning

Does anyone have an idea on how to check performance tuning for a 9406-600 with OS/400 and only using SSP?

AS400/SSP36 Tuning

Scott, Here are some of the problems that I encountered during the conversion process: a) Address out files (HSORTA sort specifications): S/36 key length is 3 bytes and an initial zero-record, AS/400 key length is 4 bytes and a all 9's trailer record. b) Read screen sequence: Some S/36 programmers used a catch all record identifier with an resulting indicator f.x. 49. This allowed them to build a loop with an initial read (prior to a write); the first read would set on 49, which in turn would identify to the code how to progress. To mimic this function after externalization of the screen, you have to code the 49 in the READ statements error (lo) resulting indicator, otherwise you would receive an exception stating that there is no format to read. c) Prior to conversion of RPT36 programs I would internalize all copy statements, using the compilers OUTFILE/OUTMBR-facility. In some cases I couldn't make it work; no expanded member was generated; I then discovered that an initial U-spec with a B in pos 30 would suppress this function! These three examples are what comes to my mind right now, you're welcome to ask if you have any specific questions or problems in this area. Best regards, Carsten

Comment

AS400/SSP36 Tuning

Stuart - Do you use the WRKSYSSTS command? Have you tried using autotuning? Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Comment

AS400/SSP36 Tuning

On Friday, March 13, 1998, 08:49 PM, Joseph wrote: I am looking for a very old RPGII Book by Shelly and Cashman called 'Computer Programming RPG II' - Orange cover. Please Email me..I'll pay. Yes!! I found the book you are lookuing for. It is sitting in one of my bookcases for 13 years together with th blue Shelly and Cashman for COBOL. ...Boy, does time fly by or what!

Comment

Working...
        X