EZD8 - Year 2000 fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZD8 - Year 2000 fix

I have not heard of the product, but I can imagine some coming up with a patch to SSP which would allow the system date to effectively roll past '00'. Actually, I thought the VASP did all of that. Regarding the claim that once you install it you don't have to change your database or programs, I find kind of hard to swallow. Not to say that someone has not come up with some real silver bullet. I would, however, definitely want to know what method the tool uses to accomplish this magic. Is it windowing? If so, what's the pivot year? Is it encapsulation? If so, does it use a static or rolling 28-year window, and what are the implications for my business? Does it use some other (perhaps proprietary) method which changes the values in my date fields? That is, instead of '980808' is it now '726549' (or whatever)? How will I (and my users) be able to interface to the data if it is changed? If the data is unchanged (it's still '980808' in the field), how will my queries, sorts, etc., be able to sequence things properly, not to mention my indices. Just some food for thought.

EZD8 - Year 2000 fix

EZD8 forces 8-digit dates into whatever room you already allowed for them (e.g., 6 bytes). It modifies the RPG II compiler so that when a program reads a date, it converts it from the storage format to characters. When you write it, it converts it from characters to the storage format. For more info, see page 118 of the Feb 98 issue of Midrange Computing. color="blue">
    On Saturday, August 08, 1998, 08:13 AM, Jerry C. Adams wrote: I have not heard of the product, but I can imagine some coming up with a patch to SSP which would allow the system date to effectively roll past '00'. Actually, I thought the VASP did all of that. Regarding the claim that once you install it you don't have to change your database or programs, I find kind of hard to swallow. Not to say that someone has not come up with some real silver bullet. I would, however, definitely want to know what method the tool uses to accomplish this magic. Is it windowing? If so, what's the pivot year? Is it encapsulation? If so, does it use a static or rolling 28-year window, and what are the implications for my business? Does it use some other (perhaps proprietary) method which changes the values in my date fields? That is, instead of '980808' is it now '726549' (or whatever)? How will I (and my users) be able to interface to the data if it is changed? If the data is unchanged (it's still '980808' in the field), how will my queries, sorts, etc., be able to sequence things properly, not to mention my indices.

Comment

Working...
    X