limit to # of characters in lib name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limit to # of characters in lib name?

Is there a limit to the number of characters in a library name in 36 code? I have a library name that is 9 characters and an error message that states, "invalid lib parm". I don't know if I have a syntax error or not. For some reason, I am thinking library names can be no more than 8 characters. Also, where on IBM's Web site, might I look for system 36 information??Thanks

Library names were limited to 8 characters on the S/36.
    color="blue"> On Wednesday, October 07, 1998, 08:32 AM, Annette Argo wrote: Is there a limit to the number of characters in a library name in 36 code? I have a library name that is 9 characters and an error message that states, "invalid lib parm". I don't know if I have a syntax error or not. For some reason, I am thinking library names can be no more than 8 characters. Also, where on IBM's Web site, might I look for system 36 information?? Thanks

Comment

The number of character limitations in 36 mode can be a royal nuisance. If you have old S/36 COBOL programs and call a native program such as MYPROGCL The program will compile just file, but MYPROGCL will not be called. Because of the program name size limitation (6 characters), your COBOL program will call a program named MYPROG. If you have no such program, an error will occur, If you do have that program, a lot worse could occur. David Abramowitz

Comment

This code runs on an AS/400 in a 36 environment. Any suggestions on which manual to look in? Here is an example of my problem:1600 // IF ?L'21,1'?/Y JOBQ , REO290,?1?,?L'22,2'? If I run this process interactive , it completes normally. When I submit it to batch, I get the "invalid lib parm" error. Thanks

Comment

On Wednesday, October 07, 1998, 11:07 AM, Annette Argo wrote: This code runs on an AS/400 in a 36 environment. Any suggestions on which manual to look in? Here is an example of my problem: 1600 // IF ?L'21,1'?/Y JOBQ , REO290,?1?,?L'22,2'? If I run this process interactive , it completes normally. When I submit it to batch, I get the "invalid lib parm" error. Thanks ================================================== ============================== =========== You would need to know the value of ?1? Submit the same job to batch using the native SBMJOB command. Specifying the *SECLVL for the job log listing, and *YES for command listing. Change the S36 procedure to log all OCL before submitting the job. The job log should list every line of OCL with the parameters filled in. This will show you precisely what went wrong. David Abramowitz

Comment

On Monday, October 05, 1998, 01:38 PM, Alfonso Hernandez wrote: I must be one of the last persons doing this. I need to migrate a S/36 to either an Advanced 36 or AS/400 Is anybody out there willing to commment on which way to go? ************************************************** ******************** For more information see the article "It's Time to Let Go" by Shannon O'Donnell on page 24 of the October issue of Midrange Computing magazine. Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Comment

Your current library's name is probably more than 8 characters long. Check that first.
              On Wednesday, October 07, 1998, 11:07 AM, Annette Argo wrote: // IF ?L'21,1'?/Y JOBQ , REO290,?1?,?L'22,2'? If I run this process interactive , it completes normally. When I submit it to batch, I get the "invalid lib parm" error.

Comment

Working...
              X