What about java applet response time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about java applet response time?

On Saturday, February 07, 1998, 01:45 PM, Mark Charles wrote: Greetings: I have been tinkering with java and applets for a while now, and I've come to the point that I would like to create something useful. Applications that do really useful things tend to be large. Large applications take time to download from a server. Will the time needed to download these applications to a browser be so great that nobody will want to use them? Our current on-line RPG order entry application is 4 programs that compile up to a measly 2800 pages. How can I offer even a quarter of that functionality over the Internet? Then, when the on-line customer wants to check our inventory balances, another program/applet/application has to go over the wire. I think the balance between functionality vs. download time is a real issue. Can someone offer some insight? Maybe I don't have the right perspective. One of the key features of Java is the ability to easily segment a system across a distributed environment. Under the scenario you describe much of the function can reside on the server and hence need not be downloaded to the client. I would also suggest you look at building Java applications vs applets if you are building "serious" application function. Also if all you want to do is enable access to current function, but over the internet than you could simply either just use 5250 emulation in the browser or put togethser some cgi scripts to create forms for posting/receiving data....very simple to do, no remote manegement. David

What about java applet response time?

Mark, As you mentioned it takes time to download applets for execution on client platforms. One possible way to avoid this is to use Remote Method Invocation(RMI). RMI is a new/enhanced feature for Java 1.1. Basicly it's a way of executing a java method(something similiar to an RPG program) on the server instead of the client platform. This would mean that the method could executed, without waiting for a download. As of yet, I haven't used RMI. I'm new to the Java scene as well. Perhaps you are aleady aware of RMI and it doesn't meet your needs. As far as the larger question of how will the performance of Java be on the AS/400, this is an area that requires more research. As soon as our shop gets V4R2, I will have a better idea of the performance. I was reading about Java performance issues in the magazine Java World. If anyone is interested their Web site is : Java World Magazine In their February issue they talk about the performance of Java realative to C++. The article said that when the Java compiler uses just-in-time(JIT) compiling technology, then the performance of Java is fairly close to C++. But when Java uses the Bytecode interpreter, then the perfomance is slower than C++. As AS/400 professionals move closer to having an AS/400 version of Java, all these performance questions that we have, will be getting more attention.

Comment

Working...
    X