AS/400 and Internet Mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 and Internet Mail

What is the best way for you to connect to the Internet? Depends upon how you want to use it. If you want to host a web site or a mail server, you need a server connected to the Internet via a leased line. AT&T, MCI, your local phone company or many ISPs can set that up for about $1,000 a month. If you only have 20 users and do not need to host a site, you might consider getting 20 ISP accounts. You users can dial in to them. At $20 to $30 a month, that is $400 to $600 a month. We have over 300 users so we can cost justify a leased line to the Internet just on the email. However, I would not recommend connecting to the Internet without a firewall. There are hackers out there that scan the net, find your system, determine that it supports telnet or ftp and try to guess passwords. They can usually guess the type of computer as the ftp or telnet often has a banner indicating what it is. Once they know you have an AS/400, they know you have a QSECOFR user id. If you have an NT computer the Id is ADMIN. They all have a ID that comes with the system and can not be deleted. They have programs that try every password until it works. PC based firewalls can not handle as many packets per second and are slower in processing packets from the net. Since you only have 20 users this is not a big concern. You might consider Microsoft's firewall for the NT server. If you have a NT network, you can restrict access to the Internet from PCs based upon the NT network user id. Most firewall boxes only allow for IP address restriction. JHicks@SUZ.com

AS/400 and Internet Mail

Got it now............it was capitalized in the directory and not in the page..........geeeesh. Just trying to keep up....

Comment

AS/400 and Internet Mail

On Friday, August 21, 1998, 01:55 PM, Denis Robitaille wrote: I, also, am trying to set up a web page on my AS/400. We are at version 4.1. I followed the instruction given by the *ADMIN pages and i still get the error 403 Any suggestion, help ?
      Denis, SInce I don't know where you are attempting to serve the web pages from, I will give you a generic pointer. The problem is the PASS statement missing or written wrong in your config file. Please read the WebMaster Guide and it will give you examples of what the PASS statement should look like depending on where you are serving the Welcome page from. Now in the post you have the "Welcome Welcome.htm" Statement and I see that you still have the comment "#" there. In the Config file the # is the same as a /* in a CL. Hope that helps. Just trying to keep up....

Comment

AS/400 and Internet Mail

It did turn out to be a case thing, the case was I just can't write HTML code. LOL Just trying to keep up....

Comment

AS/400 and Internet Mail

On Friday, August 21, 1998, 01:55 PM, Denis Robitaille wrote: I, also, am trying to set up a web page on my AS/400. We are at version 4.1. I followed the instruction given by the *ADMIN pages and i still get the error 403 This is my HTTP CONFIG file on my AS/400
           # * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Welcome welcome.htm AlwaysWelcome On DirAccess On MAP /* /drhttp/* PASS /drhttp/* 
          This is the File "welcome.htm" in directory "drhttp"
           < HTML > < HEAD > < TITLE 
          SAMPLE DOCUMENT FROM THE AS/400 HTTP SERVER< /TITLE > < /HEAD > < BODY < H1 >AS/400 HTTP SERVER< /H1 > < P > THIS DOCUMENT IS SERVED BY THE AS/400 HTTP SERVER !!!. < /BODY > < /HTML >
          I then typed STRTCPSVR SERVER(*HTTP) but i still get the error 403 if i do not specify the :2001 The profil QTMHTTP has *ALLOBJ autority. Any suggestion, help ?
          Sorry if my first post was not formatted correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X