FTP exit clearing qtemp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP exit clearing qtemp?

FTPers, On V3R7 I created FTP and tested exit programs to log our FTP access. On V4R2 they started getting two errors. The first is an authority error in the Retrieve User Index API. The object that the user QTCP is not authorized to is a user space QTEMP/QUS followed by a sequence number like 00000001. This error occurs when the API is called. The second error is caused when objects placed in QTEMP (a user space and user index) are deleted. Subsequent calls to the server job get a "tried to refer to an object that no longer exists error." I would like to know if these changes are documented somewhere. I don't think it will be very hard to get around these error, but I would like to understand what happened and why. Thanks, David Morris

FTP exit clearing qtemp?

On Wednesday, December 09, 1998, 07:20 AM, Bill Blalock wrote: Our AS400 is on the Internet. We are very satisfied with Client Access to remotely access our AS400. Even at slower speeds (14400-28800) we are satisfied with the performance of 5250 sessions.
    Yeah, we get good enough performance, too. Only when I'm doing real client/server stuff (Java and record-level access, for instance) does the modem lag seem noticeable. But doesn't being "on the Internet" leave your system wide open for anyone who wants to FTP you or whatever? How do you get around all those little gotchas? Joe

Comment

FTP exit clearing qtemp?

On Wednesday, December 09, 1998, 06:19 AM, Joe Pluta wrote: On Tuesday, December 08, 1998, 03:52 PM, Frank Whittemore wrote: With your high speed access at home, are you able to access your AS/400 at work? If yes, please give us some details. Thanks.
      Along the same line, what are some people's strategies for intranet/internet? We currently have a local net that we log into by calling directly into the LAN server. That gets us into all of our machines. However, we're planning to switch to an Internet connection using Virtual Private Networking. Anybody else doing that? If so, any pitfalls or considerations? If not, why not? Joe
      Our company has been using a VPN solution (Compatible Systems) for almost 6 weeks. We are planning on deploying it for our remote offices so they can access the AS/400 via their local ISP. We have it running in two of our 45 offices now and the users love it over the previous ascii workstation controller. Our only problem we have ran into was that the local ISP that our first office uses ran everything through a proxy server and the IP address was not "public". We had the ISP change it so our local office wouldn't use the proxy server. (Of course it now costs us $4 more a month to do it this way, but it's still cheaper than frame relay). You are at the mercy of the local ISP, so we are also planning on have a bank of modems (twelve) available in the event the ISP is down. What I like about it is I can be at home or anyplace for that matter, and access the AS/400 and also get to our Novell server where all of my documents and spreadsheets are at. Hope this answers your question.

Comment

FTP exit clearing qtemp?

Alvin - Thanks for your reply! I see you work for a cable company. To what extent do cable modems enter into your plans? Are you using a cable modem at home? Is it or will it be possible to use cable modems at the AS/400 side? What type of modems will you be using in your remore offices? Tell us more. Tell us more. TIA! Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Comment

FTP exit clearing qtemp?

On Thursday, December 10, 1998, 04:53 AM, Bill Blalock wrote: First we are using the AS400 firewall software and other IBM tools so that our AS400 runs the web site. Second I have written a TELNET exit program to reject addresses not on the authorization list and to log the signon attempts of all external IP address which are on the list. Third I have written FTP exit programs which: - allow only users on a list we maintain - can optionally limit the access of users (most of them) to - mapped to a very limited user profile - GET or PUT specific files - CD only to the directory/library of those files No other access is allowed. Can you think of anymore gotchas? Please let me know if you do.
          Heck, that's more gotchas than I would have thought of at first. But I am an absolute neophyte when it comes to TCP/IP. For example, here's a REAL basic question: Looking at the list, I see that you are explicitly restricting FTP and TELNET. I'm guessing that the firewall will restrict HTTP access. Okay, that's HTTP, FTP and TELNET. That leads me to believe that those are the only TCP servers you start. But there are bunches more! Where's a good basic text to tell me about all the different protocols I should know about? I took a real shot in the dark and looked at the STRTCPSVR command and saw about a dozen others, including SNMP, BOOTP, DHCP and DDM (by the way, DDM is REQUIRED if you are going to use record-level access via the Java toolkit). And why are there a different set of servers that need to be started by the STRHOSTSVR command? Can you (or anybody reading this!) point me at the right books or online materials? I think I ought to understand at least the basics of this stuff. Besides, sleep is optional... Joe

Comment

FTP exit clearing qtemp?

Your exit program worked on V3R7, but fails on V4R2.... why not report to service, to get an official answer from an APAR or a fix from a PTF.?.? Regards, Chuck Comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind whatsoever.

Comment

FTP exit clearing qtemp?

Without knowing what the exit program is doing I cannot say whether you are looking at a V4R2 system problem or an application problem. I can tell you though that in V4R2 the User Index APIs were changed to be threadsafe, and that the Space QUSxxxxxxx you are seeing is the concatenation of 'QUS' and the thread id of the creating thread. If you are seeing multiple occurrences of the QUSxxxxxx Spaces then you may be running in a multi-threaded process which opens up a whole other can of worms in terms of problem determination.

Comment

FTP exit clearing qtemp?

On Thursday, December 10, 1998, 08:55 AM, Bruce Vining wrote: Without knowing what the exit program is doing I cannot say whether you are looking at a V4R2 system problem or an application problem. I can tell you though that in V4R2 the User Index APIs were changed to be threadsafe, and that the Space QUSxxxxxxx you are seeing is the concatenation of 'QUS' and the thread id of the creating thread. If you are seeing multiple occurrences of the QUSxxxxxx Spaces then you may be running in a multi-threaded process which opens up a whole other can of worms in terms of problem determination. Bruce, Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like at least part of the problem was caused by the enhancements to support threads. The manual does not mention any special authorities to use the Retrieve Index Entry API. The only thing that is required is authority to the user index. I only see one user space per job so I don't think the job is using multiple threads. The other problem is that QTEMP appears to be cleared between calls, but the activation groups are not reclaimed. This seems somewhat inconsistant. I can fix the error I am getting by reclaiming an activation groups and using *NEW for the initial program, or by putting my data into a library other than QTEMP. As was suggested, I will report the authority problem to service. I just hate to find out that we missed a documented change because it can be a costly oversight. We had a telnet problem that cropped up with V3R7 that was caused when our version of a system program did not have the authority required for the new release. That cost a us a few hundred dollars. In the case of the library being cleared, it is likely that the response will be "the library is cleared after each connection to ensure that the connections are independent, what you are seeing is not a bug, here is a bill for helping you to understand why this is being done." Thanks, David Morris

Comment

Working...
                X