DSPATR(PC) in HTML

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSPATR(PC) in HTML

Is there an HTML equivalent to DSPATR(PC)? I have built a simple HTML form with one input area, a submit button, and some other text and graphics. When the form comes up, I have to move the mouse pointer to the input field & click before I can start filling in the box. Is there any way to eliminate clicking in the box?

DSPATR(PC) in HTML

On Tuesday, March 23, 1999, 06:45 AM, Ted Holt wrote: Is there an HTML equivalent to DSPATR(PC)? I have built a simple HTML form with one input area, a submit button, and some other text and graphics. When the form comes up, I have to move the mouse pointer to the input field & click before I can start filling in the box. Is there any way to eliminate clicking in the box?
    Directly quoting the HTML 4.0 Reference:

17.11 Giving focus to an element

In an HTML document, an element must receive focus from the user in order to become active and perform its tasks. For example, users must activate a link specified by the href="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/struct/links.html#edef-A" class="noxref">A element in order to follow the specified link. Similarly, users must give a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#edef-TEXTAREA" class="noxref">TEXTAREA focus in order to enter text into it. There are several ways to give focus to an element:

Based on that, Ted, I'd say the answer is a resounding "NO!" (unless you to recode your tabbing sequence every time you redisplay the form, and even then that's a kludge). This is a relatively serious issue, and bodes ill for anybody writing any REAL data panels for HTML. src="//www.zappie.net/java/_derived/index.htm_cmp_zero110_vbtn_p.gif" width="140" height="60" border="0" alt="Zappie's Java Home" align="middle">

Comment

DSPATR(PC) in HTML

I don't know if it's relevant, but EUDORA has the same problem in several places... ......

Bob Hamilton TEXAS BUSINESS SYSTEMS 736 Pinehurst Richardson, Texas 75080

Comment

DSPATR(PC) in HTML

On Tuesday, March 23, 1999, 06:45 AM, Ted Holt wrote: Is there an HTML equivalent to DSPATR(PC)? Is there any way to eliminate clicking in the box? Ted, You could use Javascript to set the focus lets see if I can get this to show with tags &lt HTML> &lt TITLE>Focus Example &lt /TITLE> &lt BODY onLoad="showfocus()"> &lt form> &lt input type="text" name="WithOut Focus" Value="I Don't Have Focus"> &lt br> &lt input type="text" name="WithFocus"> &lt br> &lt /form> &lt /BODY> &lt /HTML> &lt SCRIPT language="javascript"> function showfocus() { document.forms0.WithFocus.focus() } &lt /SCRIPT> I dont know of a way to to this through HTML HTH David

Comment

DSPATR(PC) in HTML

On Wednesday, March 24, 1999, 01:28 AM, David Bye wrote: You could use Javascript to set the focus snip
          Thanks, David. That did the trick!

Comment

Working...
          X