Trouble printing to LDP server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble printing to LDP server

I am having trouble using an output queue to send a spool file to and LPD printer queue. When a file is sent to the outq it receives a status of 'SND' and then stays that way indefinitely. No error messages are sent anywhere and I can't seem to find out any more details than 'the file is being sent.' The interesting thing is that I can take the spool file and send it to the network printer using the LPR command. I have created the outq based on an article in the Nov 97 issue of Midrange Computing (p.40). The LPD printer queue resides on my Win/98 machine using a thrid party product. What am I missing? Dave Sommerville BFC Software, Inc.

On Monday, April 12, 1999, 04:26 PM, Dave Sommerville wrote: I am having trouble using an output queue to send a spool file to and LPD printer queue. When a file is sent to the outq it receives a status of 'SND' and then stays that way indefinitely. No error messages are sent anywhere and I can't seem to find out any more details than 'the file is being sent.' The interesting thing is that I can take the spool file and send it to the network printer using the LPR command. I have created the outq based on an article in the Nov 97 issue of Midrange Computing (p.40). The LPD printer queue resides on my Win/98 machine using a thrid party product. What am I missing? Dave Sommerville BFC Software, Inc. I don't understand. You have a printer on the Lan and can send printout to it with the LPR command. To have data sent from a outq to the printer, you have to give the IP address of the printer in the "remote system" parameter of the outq. The AS/400 will start a remote writer and send the queued output to the printer. Why do you want to install a third party LPD server on your WIN98 computer? If the printer was attached to the PC and not the Lan, then maybe I could see a reason. If the printer is on the lan and the AS/400 is on the lan, thats all you need. AS/400 jobs spool to the outq on the AS/400 and so do PC jobs on the network. The AS/400 is the server for the PCs. However, you should be able to define the IP address of your printer or your Win98 PC as the "remote system" on the outq definition. The AS/400 will start a remote writer and send it to the LPD in the Win98 or the LPD in your printer. JHicks@SUZ.com

Comment

On Monday, April 12, 1999, 04:26 PM, Dave Sommerville wrote: I am having trouble using an output queue to send a spool file to and LPD printer queue. When a file is sent to the outq it receives a status of 'SND' and then stays that way indefinitely. No error messages are sent anywhere and I can't seem to find out any more details than 'the file is being sent.' The interesting thing is that I can take the spool file and send it to the network printer using the LPR command. What am I missing?
      Lets ignore the third party software for a minute. What type of network is it Netware, NT using TCP/IP? Is the connection to the printer a straight cable connection from the back of your PC, or is the printer cabled with a jet direct card or some other interface? Do you have a print server over many printers? Or are you implying that your PC is acting as the "server" to this printer for the entire network? If that is the case, then you will need to send the spool to your PC, not the printer, and let the PC manage the connection. Just trying to keep up....

Comment

On Monday, April 12, 1999, 05:22 PM, Jim Hicks wrote: I don't understand. You have a printer on the Lan and can send printout to it with the LPR command. To have data sent from a outq to the printer, you have to give the IP address of the printer in the "remote system" parameter of the outq. The AS/400 will start a remote writer and send the queued output to the printer. Why do you want to install a third party LPD server on your WIN98 computer? If the printer was attached to the PC and not the Lan, then maybe I could see a reason. If the printer is on the lan and the AS/400 is on the lan, thats all you need. AS/400 jobs spool to the outq on the AS/400 and so do PC jobs on the network. The AS/400 is the server for the PCs. However, you should be able to define the IP address of your printer or your Win98 PC as the "remote system" on the outq definition. The AS/400 will start a remote writer and send it to the LPD in the Win98 or the LPD in your printer. JHicks@SUZ.com Sorry, let me backup a little. First of all, I am trying to test printing using LPR/LPD over TCP/IP because of a client's request. At my location I don't have an "official" LAN setup. I have an e150 which is connected to my Win/98 PC via TCP/IP. Since I don't have a LAN server to handle the LPD part I had to get a third part product to turn my WIN/98 PC into an LPD server, which has worked fine when using the LPR command on the AS/400. From what I have read, I need to have an LPD server in order to print over TCP/IP. As for the outq, here is how I have created it: crtoutq outq(QUSRSYS/TCPTEST) rmtsys(*INTNETADR) rmtprtq('TCPTEST') cnntype(*IP) desttype(*OTHER) mfrtypmdl(*HP560C) intnetadr('1.1.1.9') As for the writer, I manually started it with the following command: strrmtwtr outq(QUSRSYS/TCPTEST) When I send a file to outq TCPTEST the status shows as 'SND' and the description says that it is sending the file to a remote system. However, nothing happens, not even an error message. I can turn around and use LPR to send the file from the TCPTEST outq to the PC and it works. The addresses are the same. I have tried the actual IP address and the IP name. Thanks for your thoughts, Dave

Comment

On Monday, April 12, 1999, 05:22 PM, Jim Hicks wrote: I don't understand. You have a printer on the Lan and can send printout to it with the LPR command. To have data sent from a outq to the printer, you have to give the IP address of the printer in the "remote system" parameter of the outq. The AS/400 will start a remote writer and send the queued output to the printer. Why do you want to install a third party LPD server on your WIN98 computer? If the printer was attached to the PC and not the Lan, then maybe I could see a reason. If the printer is on the lan and the AS/400 is on the lan, thats all you need. AS/400 jobs spool to the outq on the AS/400 and so do PC jobs on the network. The AS/400 is the server for the PCs. However, you should be able to define the IP address of your printer or your Win98 PC as the "remote system" on the outq definition. The AS/400 will start a remote writer and send it to the LPD in the Win98 or the LPD in your printer. JHicks@SUZ.com Sorry, let me backup a little. First of all, I am trying to test printing using LPR/LPD over TCP/IP because of a client's request. At my location I don't have an "official" LAN setup. I have an e150 which is connected to my Win/98 PC via TCP/IP. Since I don't have a LAN server to handle the LPD part I had to get a third part product to turn my WIN/98 PC into an LPD server, which has worked fine when using the LPR command on the AS/400. From what I have read, I need to have an LPD server in order to print over TCP/IP. As for the outq, here is how I have created it: crtoutq outq(QUSRSYS/TCPTEST) rmtsys(*INTNETADR) rmtprtq('TCPTEST') cnntype(*IP) desttype(*OTHER) mfrtypmdl(*HP560C) intnetadr('1.1.1.9') As for the writer, I manually started it with the following command: strrmtwtr outq(QUSRSYS/TCPTEST) When I send a file to outq TCPTEST the status shows as 'SND' and the description says that it is sending the file to a remote system. However, nothing happens, not even an error message. I can turn around and use LPR to send the file from the TCPTEST outq to the PC and it works. The addresses are the same. I have tried the actual IP address and the IP name. Thanks for your thoughts, Dave

Comment

On Tuesday, April 13, 1999, 07:42 AM, Jeff Importico wrote: Lets ignore the third party software for a minute. What type of network is it Netware, NT using TCP/IP? Is the connection to the printer a straight cable connection from the back of your PC, or is the printer cabled with a jet direct card or some other interface? Do you have a print server over many printers? Or are you implying that your PC is acting as the "server" to this printer for the entire network? If that is the case, then you will need to send the spool to your PC, not the printer, and let the PC manage the connection. Just trying to keep up.... Sorry, let me backup a little. First of all, I am trying to test printing using LPR/LPD over TCP/IP because of a client's request. At my location I don't have an "official" LAN setup. I have an e150 which is connected to my Win/98 PC via TCP/IP. Since I don't have a LAN server to handle the LPD part I had to get a third part product to turn my WIN/98 PC into an LPD server, which has worked fine when using the LPR command on the AS/400. From what I have read, I need to have an LPD server in order to print over TCP/IP. As for the outq, here is how I have created it: crtoutq outq(QUSRSYS/TCPTEST) rmtsys(*INTNETADR) rmtprtq('TCPTEST') cnntype(*IP) desttype(*OTHER) mfrtypmdl(*HP560C) intnetadr('1.1.1.9') As for the writer, I manually started it with the following command: strrmtwtr outq(QUSRSYS/TCPTEST) When I send a file to outq TCPTEST the status shows as 'SND' and the description says that it is sending the file to a remote system. However, nothing happens, not even an error message. I can turn around and use LPR to send the file from the TCPTEST outq to the PC and it works. The addresses are the same. I have tried the actual IP address and the IP name. Also, TCPTEST is the name of my LPD queue on the PC. Thanks for your thoughts, Dave

Comment

Working...
            X