Outbound ISP email from network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outbound ISP email from network

We have an AS/400 & PC network connected to the internet via a Cisco router (T1 line, no dial-up) and are not yet using the 400 as an email server. We can retrieve email from our ISP mail server (using Netscape) but cannot send it. I can ping the outbound server from the PC but not from the 400. How can I send my email?

On Tuesday, June 08, 1999, 02:40 PM, Peggy Overman wrote: We have an AS/400 & PC network connected to the internet via a Cisco router (T1 line, no dial-up) and are not yet using the 400 as an email server. We can retrieve email from our ISP mail server (using Netscape) but cannot send it. I can ping the outbound server from the PC but not from the 400. How can I send my email? I seem to be a little confused by your question. Does your question have to do with the fact that you can't contact your SMTP server? As to why you can't ping your mail server from your AS/400, do you have a default route set? If not, you should set one up, or if you don't want a default route make one just for the SMTP server you wish to send on. Consider, you receive mail from a POP server on port 110 and send mail from a SMTP server on port 25. Try telneting to your mail server on port 25 and see if it opens a connection. If it doesn't, it is probably not an SMTP server but only a mail server (for example, at home my POP server is mail.gte.net and my smtp is smtp.gte.net). Sometimes they are the same machine, sometimes they are not. I know here at Conex we had to set up our own POP and SMTP server. We are using Windows NT for it just because I do not want to stick my AS/400 on the public internet, no matter how secure I think it is. Jim Langston

Comment

Do you have a default route set up yet? So the AS/400 knows how to find your router? That is probably the missing piece of the puzzle. Your machines can find your AS/400, but your AS/400 can't find them back. On Saturday, June 05, 1999, 01:18 PM, Steven D. Overman wrote: We have a T1 (frame relay to ISP) to a Cisco 2601 to a network hub with a 170 (V4R3)and 2 PC's (Windows 95). The router has a proxy server function. No firewalls. We need to access and be accessed via the Internet. No web page for now, just remote access using Client Access. I'm testing this out and can not make a connection. I'm using the IP address assigned by the ISP when trying the connection from Client Access, but I feel there's something missing on the AS/400 to let it know there is a router there. All TCP/IP servers are started. I can still ping the AS/400 internally using our internal IP address. Does anyone have a suggestion, please? Steve

Comment

Working...
      X