FTP error 425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP error 425

I am using an AS/400 170 running V4R3. I have not been able to FTP into the AS/400 since the IBM firewall was installed. Everytime I try to send a file, I get an error# 425 "Not able to open data connection". Am using the Window 95 FTP program. When I start FTP, I can logon the AS/400. I only get the error when I use the Put command to send the file. Before the installation of the firewall, I was able to FTP without any problem. The firewall is using SOCKs services and passive/active FTP is allowed. Thanks for the help. Jean PS: What is TFTP (Trivia FTP) on the AS/400? I noticed that one of its' setup value is to NOT allow file write. (ALWWRT = *NONE). What's the difference between it and FTP.

FTP error 425

The session for FTP is on port 21, which is the text you see. But, when you send and receive files, FTP uses a different port for that. I am not positive what port that is, but it seems to be port 115, as that is listed as SFTP, and I assume that means Send FTP, but I could be wrong. Apparently your firewall has port 21 allowable, but not the other port that FTP uses, you might want to try 115 and see if that works, but like I said, I'm not positive which one it is. If I couldn't find it anywhere else (and I'm sure you can) you can always download the RFC and look there. Regards, Jim Langston

Comment

FTP error 425

To quote Matisse: "TFTP is the abbreviation for Trivial File Transfer Protocol, a simple form of the File Transfer Protocol (FTP). TFTP uses the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) - as opposed to TCP - and provides no security features. It is often used by servers to boot diskless workstations, X-terminals, and routers." As I understand it, TFTP has no WRITE capabilities, only READ. src="//www.zappie.net/java/_derived/index.htm_cmp_zero110_vbtn_p.gif" width="140" height="60" border="0" alt="Java400.net - Java/400 Freeware" align="middle"> Java400.Net - where the AS/400 speaks Java with an RPG accent Home of PBD1.2, the FREE Java/400 Client/Server Toolkit

Comment

FTP error 425

Thanks for response. Jim what's an RFC and how do I download it? I know that this may sound stupid. Thanks. Jean

Comment

FTP error 425

RFC stands for Request For Comment, and actually isn't. Each network protocol, FTP, Telnet, TCP, IP, etc... has a respective RFC that tells you all the specifications on it. I have downloaded the RFC for IRC at one point just so I could write my own IRC client as a hobby. There are a number of places on the internet that has them in downloadable format, how I had found them was to go to webcrawler and type in +RFC +IRC and found a site that listed all the RFC's. Then I found the appropriate one and downloaded it. Unfortunately, RFCs read worst that IBM manals, as they just give the specs on the protocol. Good luck, Jim Langston

Comment

FTP error 425

http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc959.html I found the FTP RFC and browsed through it, and it says, in part, The mechanics of transferring data consists of setting up the data connection to the appropriate ports and choosing the parameters for transfer. Both the user and the server-DTPs have a default data port. The user-process default data port is the same as the control connection port (i.e., U). The server-process default data port is the port adjacent to the control connection port (i.e., L-1). So the default data port is "adjacent to" the control connection. We know the control connection is 21, I looked at my services file again and, sure enough, it lists port 20 as "ftp-data". I guess I had just missed that. So, it looks like you need both ports 21 and 20 enabled. If you get bored you can look at the RFC, but it is dry reading, but very interesting. Regards, Jim Langston

Comment

FTP error 425

Thanks a millions for the response. I'll look if port 20 is enabled. Learn something everyday. Jean

Comment

Working...
              X