Secure Web Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secure Web Access

I am looking to do remote AS/400 administration with 5250 emulation, transfer different kinds of files between my home PC and the AS/400, and do Web development from my home PC with WebSphere Studio, VisualAge for Java, etc.. I currently access the AS/400 through the Web using Telnet, FTP, Client Access, etc.. This poses security problems because of no data encryption. I only anticipate the need for a couple of remote sites needing this type of access to this system so Digital Certificates might be appropriate for one layer of security. There are probably some elaborate and expensive software that provides secured access and use. Perhaps they would be configured to use a secured port rather than the plain text port and/or SSL. Would somebody please suggest some good alternatives on the lower end (cost wise) that still provide the above functionality? I am not looking to address security from a Web application user standpoint at this time. Just development. Could I be looking for something that is already in my back yard? Thanks in advance.

Secure Web Access

Here is one interesting low-end solution: Set up a PC with CA/400 installed locally. Install either PC Anywhere, Carbon Copy, or a similar program on this PC. Install the same product on your PC. Dial into the local PC, and use that PC's CA/400 to connect with the AS/400! You will not need CA/400 or any other emulation software on your PC. Dave

Comment

Secure Web Access

Thanks, Dave, for your suggestion. The AS/400 is installed at a location where there is no room for a locally attached PC. Also there is no available dial-up capability to that location. Gary

Comment

Secure Web Access

If you have version 4.4 of OS/400 and the new Client Access, you have everything you need to secure your connection to the AS/400. The Client Access will allow you to connect using SSL. You can use public key or certificates as the AS/400 also comes with a certificate server. The only thing you would need is a firewall to make sure no one can access the unsecure TCP/IP ports on the AS/400.

Comment

Secure Web Access

If you would send me your tele or e-mail address, I can get you some information on the following if your interested. It would be low cost if it works for you, and would cost you nothing to try it out. A Java-based Web-to-host application that allows SECURE Web browser access to AS/400 applications and Data. No programming required, unique "wizards" quickly produce easy-to-use applets for (1) 5250 Terminal emulation (2) Viewing and/or printing reports (spool files) (3) Database applications. eratti@edrc.com

Comment

Secure Web Access

Emil, My e-mail is gchoy@hotmail.com thanks gary

Comment

Secure Web Access

I am interested in implementing SSL and Digital Certificates for more secure remote Client Access. I understand that I can request Cryptographic Access Provider 5769-ACx and Client Encryption 5769-CEx and receive them at no charge (for my V4R4). Digital Certificate Manager 5769-SS1 Option 34 is not installed on my system. Is that because, way back when I just didn't choose to install it from my install CD's? Or is that something else that I have to specially request? I do not have plans for AS/400 firewall, so if and when this development AS/400 developement system becomes a production machine I will address the issue of unsecured ports. Thanks, Gary

Comment

Working...
              X