accessing AS/400 from Internet..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accessing AS/400 from Internet..

Our AS/400 is currently running TCP/IP over our LAN. Our LAN is connected to the internet over a DSL with a firewall. I am attempting to log into our AS/400 from the internet (HTTP and TELNET) and cannot get in. I have the IP address of the AS/400 set up for our VPN but am unsure if or where I enter in the IP address of the bridge (router) of our DSL. HTTP and TELNET are running on the AS/400, and the VPN IP address is configured on our Firewall with the internal IP address of the AS/400. What am I doing wrong??

Assuming your LAN is relatively simple and doesn't span multiple routers, do you have the firewall/router address configured as a default route in the 400's TCP config (CFGTCP/option 2)? Other troubleshooting steps would be to ping and/or telnet from the 400 to the router and vice versa to verify they can see each other. - JJ

Comment

Stacy, What firewall software are you running, I am interested in setting up a VPN or a SPN from my AS400 through the internet and ridding myself of the costly point to point communication lines. Also how confident are you that your Internet sessions will be secure? Please let me know? Wade

Comment

I am extremely new to this, but are you running a VPN client that encrypts your datastream between your workstation and the firewall, while it's travelling over the Internet, and that's able to negotiate with your firewall to let you in? And isn't this necessary before you can pass through the firewall? We're using CheckPoint for our firewall and our VPN client (SecuRemote by Checkpoint). The client handles getting us through the firewall and encrypts all our traffic. I'm only have to deal with using and installing the VPN client, and (happily) am not involved with the firewall setup or security, so I could be saying something really, really dumb here! But without that VPN client, we cannot get into the network.

Comment

We are using a firewall software called Share the Net. The gateway running Share the Net has two NICs.. one attached to our DSL, the other attached to our LAN. The AS/400 resides on the LAN. Through STN we have opened up the ports on the 400 that we need to access as well as the TELNET port. We are using our NT box for HTTP and FTP. As far as security is concerned, a logon to our NT server is necessary before any access to the AS400. The AS400 has level 40 security set up and also has the additional logon. So far so good... I was able to resolve the original issue that I posted. We are now able to access the 400 via the internet..

Comment

Working...
          X