TokenRingInstallation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TokenRingInstallation

I am trying to install a token ring card on a IBM laptop with it's appropriate driver CDRom. Windows treats it as installed by I have an exclamation point next to the card in the device section of the system configuration in control panel. I am running Win98 with Novell Client and AOL (may be part of the problem.) Any help? KJ

TokenRingInstallation

Kenneth, I may be wrong here, but if I am, someone will probably catch it and correct me. But...generally, an exclamation point over a device in Windows Device Manager means that you have an IRQ conflict with another device on your PC. If the token ring card (and I assume you just mean a NIC card here, right?) is an older one, it may be that it requires a specific interrupt to function correctly. For the older 5250 emulation cards, this was in the range of 3-7. Newer cards use shared interrupts to avoid this problem. The other problem may be that you have a memory conflict. You'd need to refer to your card's documentation to see if it requires a specific memory address range to operate in. Again, some older cards had this requirement while newer ones do not. You should go into Device Manager click on Properties and look at what interrupts are being used. Chances are good that your card is trying to use an interrupt that is in use by another device. Your options at that point are to start moving devices around by changing interrupts for each one, until you can free one up that your card can use. However, as one who has done this more times than I'd care to remember, let me caution you against it. You can really cause some serious damage and also make your computer or some of its devices unusable by playing around here. My suggestion would be to review the documentation that came with your card. If it says it requires a specific IRQ and/or memory address to run, and if you find that this IRQ/memory address is already being used by looking in Device Manager, then I'd say cut your losses and spring for a new card. It'll be cheaper and less of a headache in the long run.

Comment

Working...
    X