FTP - AS/400 to UNIX Fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP - AS/400 to UNIX Fails

Hello, I am trying to transfer files(AScii & Binary) from my AS/400 to a Unix machine. After logging on to the Customer Unix machine(connected via Ethernet/TCP-IP - T1 line) , i am unable to perform LS,GET or PUT. After executing this command, the process takes several minutes and then give a error reply code and message:- 425 - cannot open data connection. There is no problem with my Firewall filter rules, as when i try to do the same function, it properly works from my NT desktop. Can anyone help me to solve this problem? Thanks in advance. Regards, Anuram

can you ping the UNIX box from the 400??

Comment

You may find that you need to connect again through the FTP session using the OPEN command. Other than that if you can ping both ways I'm at a loss as to where the problem could be. Dan

Comment

Make sure the authority of the AS/400 file has PUBLIC(*ALL), and in Unix the CHMOD should be 777 (all authorities). Good luck & thanks. Max Moeini

Comment

I cannot able to ping from my 400 as well as from my desktop as my firewall denies ping requests.

Comment

Hi Max, Thanks for your response. I am trying to Upload and Download files from 400 to my customer machine. The ping will not work as my Firewall denies it.When i try to do upload and download from my desktop it works fine. When i try to do the same thing from my 400 it fails. I am trying to tranfer a PGP encrypted file (both ways). Regards, Ramesh

Comment

Hi again: The problem can be your FTP. On AS/400 enther CHGFTPA and press F4, I have as folows: Autostart Server *yes Number of initial servers 20 Inactivity timeout 300 Code character set identifier 00819 Outgoing EBCDIC/ASCII *CCSID Incoming EBCDIC/ASCII *CCSID Good luck, let us know. Max Moeini

Comment

Max, Even i have the same settings in my 400 ftp attributes.Still it is not working. The logon goes smoothly, once i give dir or ls it waits for few minutes then hangs with a message can't open data connection. Still the problem exists. Regards, Ramesh

Comment

Hi Ramesh: Then the problem is a minor one! (Major solutions come first). Follow the line step by step, stage by stage; for example try WRKCTLD and in the following screen enter 8 beside the controller and find out the controller status, WRKLIND will show whether it is active (varied on/off), check the power supply, hardware and connections. Look for simple causes. Good luck!! Max Moeini

Comment

Max, All the simple causes i checked and everything works fine.I dont think anyproblem with my 400.I think its something with the file formats and structures. Regards, Ramesh

Comment

Hi Ramesh: You are frustrated!! I remember you could not PING from each side; I can't relate this with file structure. Howaver make sure the file is FTP ed as ASCII. I can't think of anything alse at the moment. Lets wait for others' input. Have a nice and easy day! Max Moeini

Comment

Hi Max, Finally i solved the problem.Its related with Firewall.I checked the firewall filters for FTP permissions. But we have to change the process specifically for FTP if the data passes thru the Firewall. Thanks for your support. Regards, Ramesh

Comment

Hi Ramesh: Thank you very much for the news. Have a nice day. Max Moeini

Comment

I am trying to use encryption between the AS400 and unix machine. Where does the PGP software reside relative to the AS400? Does it reside on a PC networked to the AS400 or on the AS400. I need to be able to decrypt files and process them on the AS400 from a program running from the job scheduler. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X