FTP - Cannot resolve host name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP - Cannot resolve host name

After typeing FTP on the command line and then entering the site ftp.XXXX.com I get the following error message: Cannot resolve host name. Our AS/400 has an internal IP address of 10.11.2.1. I can ping other internal pc's and servers but I cannot ping outside of our LAN. On our pc's I have a DNS and a Gateway address setup, do I need these for our AS/400 as well? If so, where and how do I add them? Please HELP!!! Bill Clark Manhattan Area Technical College bclark@matc.net

Bill, I'd love to help you but I don't have access to my machine right now, and you usually need some pretty high access levels to mess with the TCP configuration. However, I can try to point you in the right direction. The CFGTCP command brings up a menu with pretty much all the commands you could possibly need to configure your AS/400's TCP/IP communications. If there are gateway and DNS parameters, they would be in there somewhere. I know it's not much, but you seemed kinda desperate, and at those times even a little information helps. src="//www.zappie.net/java/_derived/index.htm_cmp_zero110_vbtn_p.gif" width="140" height="60" border="0" alt="Java400.net - Java/400 Freeware" align="middle"> Java400.Net - where the AS/400 speaks Java with an RPG accent Home of PBD2.0, the color=red>FREE Java/400 Client/Server color=blue>Revitalization Toolkit

Comment

Bill, All HOSTS (AS/400s, PCs, Servers, whatever) have to be registered in your DNS in order to use a Host Name instead of the IP address to find/target them. The AS/400 Host table simply allows AS/400 functions (Telnet, LPR, FTP) to find other Hosts using a Host Name entered in the AS/400 Host Table. The AS/400 can be the DNS but it's a pain to maintain. It's better off in an NT server, and let the Network folks maintain it. WINS can also do the same function. I hope I'm being clear enough. Your other option for immediate relief is to use the IP address instead of the host name in your ftp. You don't have to worry about resolution. If you can find the target machine with a ping using the IP, then you can FTP to it. HTH. Regards.

Comment

Working...
      X