Multiple AS/400 telnet servers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple AS/400 telnet servers?

Can the AS/400 support 2 telnet servers? I'd like to have 1 telnet server for in house (behind firewall) use at port 23. We'd also like to setup another telnet server at port XX23 for use via our firewall. Is that possible. I see where you can use the ADDSRVTBLE (add service table entry) command. I've tried adding another telnet entry there will no success. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great... Thanks!!!!

I don't know if the AS/400 can have two telnet server, never tired it. However, there are already two ports for CA. Port 23 is used for standard plain text telent communication and another port for ssl. I don't know the port number. If you use CA express, go to the properties/connections tab and you will see an option "use secure socket layer (ssl)". You can setup a cerfiticate manager on the AS/400. A PC will need a certificate installed on it. The certificate is a encryption key that allows you to know what PC you are communicating with. The SSL will only allow system with a valid certificate to communicate with your AS/400 on the SSL port. At our shop, we use a Nortel box that Internet users must connect to before they can get into our Lan. We install the certifcates on the PCs and the Nortel box does the encryption and validation to the Lan. We have several systems on our lan and want our users to be able to access them. If you only want to give them access to the AS/400, you might want to look at CA express and SSL.

Comment

Bob, You will have to set the auto-answer switch. This will cause the AA light to come on. You may also be able to set one of the registers (S0?) in your initialization string. David Morris

Comment

Set the switch to auto answer and still no luck. It seems that the tcp/ip pp startup does not bring the job to a *RINGW status???

Comment

Bob, When you turn the modem off and back on with the dip switch set to auto-answer, auto-answer should be enabled. When the modem initialization string is sent to the modem it may override the switch setting. I am not sure about your modem, but you might check to see what settings are being set in the initialization process. The modem should pick up the phone when the AA light is lit. David Morris

Comment

Without even trying to dial the number and make the connection, I am not getting the *RINW status on the tcp/ip pp job screen. I think that when you start the connection from the AS400 side it sends a signal to the modem and expects 'something' back to tell it is ready to receive a call, ie '*RINGW'. So there is nowhere to set an initialization string except with the switches????

Comment

Bob, I am assuming you are defining this connection using Operations Navigator. You will see a modem profile for the modem. This profile contains the initialization strings. Depending on how you switches on the modem are set you should see the modem responses echoed back to the communication job associated with the line description. David Morris

Comment

Thank you for your assistance. I am trying to figure the whole thing out now in CA Express, but have not yet found the right combination. I think you have pointed me in the right direction, now if I can just get it to work??? Thanks for all your help.

Comment

What type of the US Robotics ?. Courier, Sporter ?. I'm assuming that you are also using this for asynchronous.

Comment

Working...
                  X