400 to Modem/Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 to Modem/Router

Has anyone tried connecting a 400 to the internet thru a Modem/Router? These gimmicks are getting so cheap -- and fast -- that I am tempted to try it. NetGear makes one that is a 5 port ethernet hub on one side and a dial up on the other. When the router gets an address out of its subnet it dials up if it's not connected. I have used this at my office for about three years with no problems using PC ethernet including one LINUX box. I am told that LYNX makes one that is DSL/Cable/dialup capable. Also, 3Com has one(?) I'm told. I don't see why this won't work with a 400; 'cause it can deal with ethernet. The NetGear version needs one PC in the circuit to set up the Router addresses but after that it shouldn't care where things are coming from. {;>) ??????? bobh

400 to Modem/Router

The IBM Redbook "Cool Title" etc. Shows the example. A regular ASCII modem is connected to the COM port, and configured with the CRTLINASC command for IP usage. When configuring IP, you just dial into your ISP, and that's it! No router needed. Dave

Comment

400 to Modem/Router

What about the PCs in the same circuit?

Comment

400 to Modem/Router

I don't think that's possible with this configuration. Dave

Comment

Working...
        X